A Salford institution offering activities and events for lads and lasses. It's enshrined in Smiths mythology, too
Established in 1903 as a club for working lads, the place has provided events, activities and a place to go now for over a century (it welcomes girls now, too). And so, from camping and computer games to boxing and badminton, this club - run by a team of tireless volunteers - provides a genuinely inspiring alternative for Salford's youth.
One of the club's main claims to fame is providing the backdrop for the seminal photograph that appeared as the gatefold image for The Smiths album, The Queen Is Dead. Sagely the club houses a Smiths Room, welcoming fans from all over the world.
The club's original intent was to provide an alternative to the turn-of-the-century street gangs with sports, arts, cultural and educational activities. It could be argued that it is needed now as much as it was then.
|Venue name:||Salford Lads' Club|
St Ignatius Walk