There are few things worse in this life than being pressed up against a million other passengers on a crowded train, just because you chose the wrong station to travel through.
Well, some UK railway hubs are much, much busier than others, and new figures have just revealed the the most hectic of all. Unsurprisingly, most of them are in London, with Waterloo the absolute worst. A whopping 41.4 million passed through the station between April 2021 and March 2022.
Close behind was London Victoria with 36.7 million and London Bridge with 33.3 million. Eight out of the ten busiest are found in London, but two non-London stations did make the cut. Birmingham New Street came eighth with 22.6 million, and Manchester Piccadilly came tenth with 19.5 million. In Scotland, the most used station is Glasgow Central, while Cardiff Central was the busiest in Wales.
Here is the top ten in full:
1. London Waterloo (41,426,042 annual passengers)
2. London Victoria (36,776,338)
3. London Bridge (33,309,348)
4. London Liverpool Street (32,165,310)
5. Stratford (London) (28,182,238)
6. London Paddington (23,870,510)
7. London Euston (23,097,606)
8. Birmingham New Street (22,682,526)
9. London Kings Cross (20,476,492)
10. Manchester Piccadilly (19,581,442)
Stay in the loop: sign up to Out There, our free newsletter spotlighting stories, scenes and incredible stuff to do all over the UK.