The Queen of Hoxton – pub, club and everything in between – offers an eclectic mix over two fun floors, with DJs playing on a cutting-edge disco/house tip on the weekends, while film nights, fringe theatre and food often take centre-stage during the week. Their huge rooftop is one of the funnest in London too – with an enormous wigwam set up during the winter months.
|Venue name:||Queen of Hoxton||Contact:|
1 Curtain Rd
|Opening hours:||Open 5pm-12midnight Mon-Wed; 5pm-2am Thu-Sat; 12noon-12midnight Sun|
|Transport:||Tube: Old St/Liverpool St; Rail: Shoreditch High St Overground|
|Do you own this business?|
- Ferris (Broderick) is a boy who gets anything he wants, screws over anyone who gets in his way, and gets patted on the back for doing so. Gathering his best friend (Ruck) and his best girlfriend (Sara), he skips school for the day out in Chicago. ...Read more
- After 2004’s straight-to-DVD sequel, the superior original is re-released, digitally restored, to mark the film’s twentieth anniversary. Aside from making fans feel very old, this is also likely to make them feel just as jubilant and light-footed ...Read more
- Asked what he disliked about the 1961 movie of his novella, Truman Capote replied: ‘Oh God, just everything. It made me want to throw up.’ He’d wanted Monroe for Holly Golightly, his goodtime girl who relied on the kindness of rich gentlemen-frien...Read more
- Another post-modern mix of myth, musical, comedy, romance and unfettered pastiche from the impressively inventive Luhrmann, here ransacking pop culture's iconographic archives - rather than the real Paris of 1900 - to mount a hyperkinetic update...Read more
- This near-perfect romcom gave an unknown actress called Audrey Hepburn her ‘hello world’ moment in 1953 – making her an overnight star at 24. Hepburn sparkles as Princess Ann, an elfin European aristo bored to tears of ambassador’s receptions and ...Read more
- Despite repeated asteroid threats, nuclear meltdowns, wars great and small and potentially species-eliminating plagues, we as a planet have finally made it. Happy ‘Back to the Future’ Day, everyone! October 21, 2015 is the day Doc and Marty jetted...Read more
- Pioneers of ‘reality rap’ (we now call it gangsta) NWA deserve their own movie. No doubt. But is the often sentimental, occasionally dull ‘Straight Outta Compton’ the best version of that movie? Only partly. There’s enjoyable humour (and beautiful...Read more
- Not only expert homage for the fans but a first-rate, energised piece of mega-Hollywood adventure, the hugely anticipated 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' stirs more to life than just The Force. The rollicking, space-opera spirit of George Lucas’s o...Read more
Pick a dateto
Things to do
Tie Dye High Five
Wispy-haired men in rainbow-coloured peace-symbol T-shirts will probably be few and far between at this Hackney tie-dye workshop. It’s fresh-faced hipsters (rather than ageing hippies) that are more likely to be found here, tying up their whites and wielding...Classes and workshops Saturday May 7 2016 - Saturday September 3 2016Read more
Rooftop Film Club: Queen of Hoxton
The Rooftop Film Club have perfected the art of outdoor cinema on the roof of the Queen of Hoxton pub in the heart of Shoreditch, with comfy director's chairs, blankets and wireless headphones (say goodbye to cinema rustle). The movies are a mix of ’80s...Sunday May 8 2016 - Tuesday May 31 2016Read more
Things to do
Nonstop ping pong mixes with games like beer pong, the 'Pongathon Challenge' and 'Sofa-Pong' to win prizes such as a £60 bar tab. Ping pong table time comes for free, and there's coaching available for anyone who wants to up their game.Games and hobbies Tuesday May 10 2016 - Wednesday December 21 2016 FreeRead more
Kick Out The Jams
Embark on a musical journey as DJs explore their vast physical and digital collections. Expect disco, soul, funk and reggae.House, disco and techno Wednesday May 11 2016 - Thursday June 30 2016Read more
House & Garage Sessions
The House And Garage Orchestra perform a selection of new music and collaborations with a selection of guest artists.Dance and electronic Friday June 3 2016 - Saturday June 4 2016Read more
Average User Rating
3.3 / 5
- 5 star:1
- 4 star:7
- 3 star:5
- 2 star:1
- 1 star:2
This year's Wigwam is the best yet. marshmallows on sticks, hot cocktails, nice food and a manmade tree that you can actually climb. Super cosy and great quirky place to take a first date
1/ between 11:17 and 11:18pm price went up from £8 to £10 whilst in queue.
2/ paid 4 entrances for £40, excited to have a drink on the rooftop --> which is NOT open at night. Too bad as this is why we had come for (after reading the latest timeout recommending it specifically for the rooftop). Too bad I heard people getting out of the bar shouting "don't waste your time here" AFTER I paid the £40.
3/ tried to kindly explain to the staff at the entrance that we only came for the rooftop and thus we don't want to stay and want our money back --> the answer I got was "you should have been more careful reading our website"
4/ stopped debating - as the money is already wasted, I tried to approach the bar where it took me ages to get drinks. Whilst in queue, a lovely smell of urine at the bar by the way.
5/ downed the drink and left because of terrible music
NOT a place I would recommend. At all.
PS: 1 star given because it is not possible to give none. Doesn't even deserve it.
My friends and I spent NYE at Queen of Hoxton. I am surprised there aren't more positive reviews as we had a tremendous time there ! The theme was cool, lots of people played the game by coming dressed up of wearing marine outfits. The music was very eclectic and it's a great thing because everyone was able to enjoy it ! The DJs were cool, especially the Menendez Brothers whom we unwittingly ended up talking to. Being French, we were pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of people there, we got to talk to lots of people from everywhere ! They served hot dogs on the roof, from which the view is amazing !!!! It's a great place to go party, and I normally hate clubs I prefer bars - but I had a great time at Queen of Hoxton. It was reasonably crowded and the only reason why it doesn't get a % stars for me is because the baristas took ages to take our orders everytime, which was very annoying. This would be the only bad thing I wanted to point out for improvement. Other than that, I am sure on less busy nights the service is great. If you've never been, you should go and experience it yourself :-) I highly recommend it.
I was out for a friends 23rd and it was shaping up to be a good night. Whilst getting a drink at the ground floor bar, i saw this 'DJ' madly twiddling nobs on the mixer channel which was at zero volume. Being a DJ myself i was intrigued, so i watched him for a while. The guy did not even attempt to mix. There was a track running and he literally just played with idle controls whilst dancing about like a moron. I've never seen such a pretentious display of fakery in my life. I've seen some terrible DJ's, but none as bad as this. I decided to talk to him. A few times i pointed out that he was using controls on a silent channel - no response. I then said he was a crap DJ. When he looked up, i realised it was Matt Horne (the guy from gavin and stacey). I was a little starstruck and stopped what i was doing to go tell my friends. As i pointed him out he was reeling of some trap to the bouncers about how i had assaulted him over the decks. They then grabbed me and took me out. I asked the bouncer why i'd been kicked out, i was told i 'shouldn't have pushed the DJ'. I paid £5 to get into that club and my night was over because Gavin can't accept the fact that he's a poser. The whole situation was hilarious. Seriously matt - stop kidding yourself and stick to the acting & whilst you're at it, don't ruin peoples evenings unnecessarily. Grow up. You're not a princess, and you're certainly not a DJ.
It's a nice venue. The one major issue is the stairs!! To get up to the roof, you need to be fit. My steel drum band covered a company party at this venue and we enjoyed it. With some further tweaks, the roof terrace could be more interesting, but overall, the staff were helpful and polite which makes a lot of difference to the whole experience.