Style & Shopping
Fendi is now selling purses in vending machines
Photograph: Courtesy Sam Deitch
What do a bag of M&Ms and a Fendi bag have in common? Double letter monograms, an assortment of tantalizing bright colors, the power to console you after a breakup… and now, they’re both stocked in vending machines. Yep.
The storied Italian house replaced candy with high fashion inside dispensers in its new Soho pop-up, which just opened on the corner of Green and Prince Streets. The swap is a surprise, given that creative director Karl Lagerfeld famously shuns junk food (too many calories, darling). Fendi hopes the reference to Cheetos and Doritos will entice more millennials to splurge on its goods—"it" bags like the Baguette and the Peekaboo dangle from shiny metal tongs inside the vending machines, while glitzy neon signs in the store read #FENDISOHO. Because millennials love a good hashtag, #amiright? If Fendi sticks with selfie star Cara Delevinge as its campaign model, the storefront windows should prove to be Instagram gold. But we’ll probably stick with our M&Ms, thanks. Through December 31st at 122 Greene St.
- Taylor Swift dances through her new video "Shake It Off"
- Afropunk Fest 2014: Ten sets you need to see
- Kaleidoscopic mini festival and art party goes down in Bushwick this Saturday
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne goes against Nicki Minaj on its NYC tour stop
- Casting call: Is Heather Graham leaving the new Neil LaBute play good news?