Music & Nightlife
Japanese heavy metal girl group Babymetal plays its first NYC show
Lots of boy bands and girl groups employ cute outfits, synchronized dance moves and uber-poppy hooks to win over fans. But so far, maybe the only act to match those tricks with black-metal imagery, ripping guitar solos and headbanging breakdowns is Babymetal. The prefab trio of Japanese teenagers, which released its self-titled debut earlier this year, brings its over-the-top stage show to NYC for the first time with a Hammerstein Ballroom performance on November 4. With local shows by King Diamond and Judas Priest (not to mention Slipknot and Samhain) and now this, it's lining up to be quite the fall for full-throttle heavy-metal music in NYC. Pick up your tickets starting tomorrow—Friday, September 5—at 10am EST.
- In this week’s issue of Time Out New York, we get pumped for New Year’s with Skrillex and Diplo
- Take a peek inside Ramen Lab from the Sun Noodles team
- Artisanal aged cheese is literally underground in Crown Heights
- 11 super-cool things to do this weekend
- Word on the street: 13 crazy things we overheard in NYC this week