Built by a rich merchant-farmer family in 1748, this fieldstone mansion housed both British and American armies during the Revolutionary War and gave George Washington a place to rest his head. This place has the distinction of being the city’s first historic house museum, opened in 1896, and offers both self-guided and volunteer docent-led tours of the collection of colonial furniture and decorative objects.
Van Cortlandt House Museum
|Venue name:||Van Cortlandt House Museum||Contact:|
|Cross street:||at 246th St|
|Opening hours:||Tue-Fri 10am-4pm Sat-Sun 11am-4pm|
|Transport:||Subway: 1 to 242nd St–Van Cortlandt Pk|
|Price:||$5, students $3, children under 12 free, Wed free|