Several of the villas dotted around the park are the remains of a world exposition held here in 1911, and this neo-classical palace, dedicated to 19th- and 20th-century art, is one of the most eye-pleasing. The permanent collection begins with the 19th century, when big was beautiful: an enormous statue of Hercules by Canova (with artfully positioned fig-leaf) dominates Room 4 of the left wing; Ettore Ferrari's plaster model for the bronze of Giordano Bruno in Campo de' Fiori stands opposite, in Room 4 of the right wing.
In the Palizzi Room (Room 5, left wing) are smaller pieces, including romantic views of the Neapolitan hinterland and views of Rome before the dramatic changes wreaked upon the urban landscape in the late 19th century. The 20th-century component (upper right and left wings) includes works by De Chirico, Modigliani, Morandi and Marini, and a powerful altarpiece to Fascism by Gerardo Dottori. International stars include The Three Ages by Klimt and The Gardener and Madame Ginoux by Van Gogh. Cézanne, Braque, Rodin and Henry Moore are also represented here.