Bringing the best of the city under one roof
Time Out Market Miami opened its doors to the public on May 9 in Miami Beach – cementing a new and exciting must-visit destination. At the food and cultural market, visitors get to enjoy outstanding food from the city’s best chefs and restaurateurs, cocktails from Miami’s award-winning mixologists and cultural experiences.
Located at 1601 Drexel Avenue, guests can choose from over 100 mouth-watering dishes, savoring Cuban Pastries or Tacos, Shrimp Ceviche or Crackling Maiitake Mushroom with Shishito Peppers, Sushi Bowls or Beef Pho, artisan-style pizza or Lobster Rolls, Pastrami Short Rib with Shaved Fennel Caesar or Chicken N Waffles, Blue Crab tostadas or Grilled Octopus, vegan burgers and more.
Time Out Market Miami spans across 18,000 square feet and features 18 eateries, a demonstration kitchen, and three bars, bringing the best of the city together under one roof: its best chefs, drinks and cultural experiences – based on editorial curation.
From morning to night, guests can see James Beard Award winning chefs, and Top Chef winners, and their teams in action. To select Miami’s outstanding culinary talent, local Time Out editors tested and tasted the city’s best food and invited only the very best chefs to join Time Out Market. The result of this curation is a stellar lineup, offering guests a diverse range of local cuisines – affordable and accessible for all:
- My Caribbean Kitchen by Norman Van Aken: James Beard Award-winning chef Norman Van Aken has put his New World cuisine front and center at Time Out Market Miami since its opening. Now the renowned chef will be updating his menu dedicated to his beloved ‘Caribbean’ mode of cooking and named 'My Caribbean Kitchen', in partnership with Christian and Domenica Plotczyk, the successful duo behind the market's Salt & Brine concept. 'My Caribbean Kitchen' by Norman Van Aken is a delightful celebration of regional specialties reimagined for local palates and the seasonally inspired menu - highlighting both chefs’ passion for fresh and local ingredients - features ‘Salsa of Life’ shrimp ceviche, tomato, chilies, mariquitas; Bahamian Conch Fritters with spiced red pepper jam; Down Island Fish Sandwich with lemon tartar and coleslaw; Jerk Beef Salad with calabaza, citrus, coconut and honey-soy vinaigrette; Steamed Fish ‘Caribe Style’ and Chicken ‘A La Brasa’ both served with red beans, rice and tropical fruits chutney.
- Jeremy Ford: The critically acclaimed winner of ‘Top Chef Season 13’ is adding to his existing repertoire with his interpretation of Korean flavors at Time Out Market. Diners can expect exceptional, artistic dishes with intense, delicious flavors as the standard he’s established at his celebrated Stubborn Seed in Miami Beach.
- Bachour: Recipient of the 2018 ‘Best Pastry Chef Award’ at the Best Chef Awards in Milan, Italy, as well as prestigious culinary honors, Antonio Bachour will satisfy every sweet tooth with his famous patisserie confections that are as delectable as they are artistic masterpieces.
- Leña by Michael Beltran: Miami born and bred, Michael Beltran, has garnered regional and national acclaim, including ‘Chef of the Year’ and ‘Restaurant of the Year’ for Ariete, which he transformed into a destination in no time. At Time Out Market Miami, he presents Leña featuring dishes like Wood Grilled Pork Chop with Avocado Pumpkin Seed Salsa.
- The Local Cuban by Alberto Cabrera: Miami native, but Cuban to the core, Alberto Cabrera introduces The Local Cuban, serving his award-winning Cuban sandwiches and more. The concept is inspired by the time he spent in the kitchen with his family as a child and his career in the kitchens of some of Miami’s top restaurants as well as his own much-loved establishments.
- PEACE PIE by Norman Van Aken: With his second concept at Time Out Market Miami, Chef Norman Van Aken offers hand-crafted, artisan-style pizza. Seven brand-new pizzas have been created, all featuring fresh and local produce. The PEACE PIE menu includes MAGGIE MAY (with fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil), CON CARNE (spicy pepperoni, Italian sausage and meatballs), WHITE PIE (ricotta, mozzarella, arugula, prosciutto, cherry tomato and local honey), and CAYO HUESO (Key West pink shrimp, parmesan, marinara, oregano and XVOO). Also on the menu: SWEETIE PIE (chocolate, sweet ricotta, strawberries, powdered sugar, cinnamon).
- Coyo Taco: Miami’s trendy taqueria helmed by Scott Linquist, one of the country’s most acclaimed chefs in Mexican cuisine, has a presence in Time Out Market, serving his hugely popular tacos made with locally sourced vegetables and seafood, humanely raised meats, and made-to-order tortillas from a real tortillera.
- KUSH: KUSH is brought to Time Out Market by Matt Kuscher. This is an edgy, integrity-driven award-winning restaurant concept best known for its epicurean, American cuisine featuring locally sourced ingredients. Matt Kuscher is a third-generation restaurateur and the creator of five unique concepts in Miami, a connoisseur of craft beer, local art, and great food made from scratch.
- 33 Kitchen: Named ‘Best Peruvian Restaurant in Miami’ in 2016, 33 Kitchen by Chef Sebastian Fernandez at Time Out Market serves diners Peruvian-inspired dishes combining modern techniques with pristine ingredients. Guests will enjoy dishes like Grilled Octopus with Sweet Potato Puree, Mint and Cilantro Chimichurri.
- Salt & Brine: Christian and Domenica Plotczyk, who redefined Miami’s oyster scene with Ella’s Oyster Bar, introduce Salt & Brine at Time Out Market. This fun raw bar features a curated list of oysters brought in fresh daily to be shucked in front of the guests, highlighting accompaniments to further enhance the oyster.
- Love Life Cafe: Partners in both love and life, Veronica Menin and Diego Tosoni bring their plant-based Love Life Cafe – and their award-winning vegan burger – to Time Out Market Miami. It is all about clean and fresh food without sacrificing a delicious, indulgent dining experience full of flavor.
- Azucar: Suzy Batlle, the Queen of Cuban ice cream, joins Time Out Market Miami with her legendary creamery, serving her most popular flavors, including the trademarked Abuela Maria with vanilla, guava, cream cheese and Maria crackers. There will also be new custom flavors exclusively for the market.
- Pho Mo: Partners Chef Cesar Zapata and Aniece Meinhold bring Pho Mo, a spin on their beloved Viet-Cajun spot Phuc Yea to Time Out Market Miami. The restaurant’s take on traditional Asian cuisine blends Vietnamese techniques and New Orleans’ style Cajun fare to bring forth something truly innovative.
- Wabi Sabi by Shuji: Chef Shuji Hiyakawa is introducing Miami to the most authentic Japanese sushi bowls. At Time Out Market, Chef Shuji compresses his three decades’ worth of experience in Japanese fine dining into signature dishes focused on quality and flawless execution. Diners can customize their experience, with the option to select various bases and sauces.
- Giorgio Rapicavoli: The incredibly talented Giorgio Rapicavoli offers guests a taste of the artfully presented dishes that made his restaurant, Eating House, an instant success and local favorite. Exclusive to Time Out Market Miami will be their Rigatoni Al Pesto.
- Cheezious: Co-founders Chef Brian and Fatima Mullins, and Christian Dickens, join Time Out Market Miami with the best of their award-winning menu of gooey and cheesy grilled cheese sandwiches in an array of mouth-watering varieties.
- Demonstration Kitchen: Time Out Market showcases a rotating lineup of chefs at its demo kitchen, ranging from up-and-coming culinary geniuses to accomplished chefs who take over for a short residency to test new concepts or simply enjoy the experience of being part of the market. The demo kitchen is the market’s only counter-side seating offering guests a front-row experience of the exceptional culinary techniques performed by the chefs and their teams. Chef Miguel Angelo Gomez Navarro, better known as “Fish,” most recently served as the Chef de cuisine of PEZ restaurant in Downtown Miami and brings La Gringa Tostaderia into the demo kitchen for six months beginning in October 2019. At Time Out Market Miami, he offers guests a one-of-a-kind culinary experience with his bold-flavored dishes of Mexican cuisine that draw from his heritage and upbringing in Tijuana and Mexico City. The menu includes savory dishes such as Blue Crab Tostadas with morita mayo, blue crab ceviche, mixed green pickled red onions and jalapeño ash; Shredded Beef Chalupas with cotija cheese; Lamb slow-cooked in banana leaves, and a salsa borracha (chiles and beer) served with a side of corn tortillas.
Didier Souillat, CEO of Time Out Market, commented:
“We are excited to have added a new and truly unique experience to South Beach and making Time Out Market Miami a must-visit destination for both locals and tourists. We bring together Miami’s best chefs and mixologists in an absolutely stunning space in a fantastic neighborhood and we have a passionate team – this mix ensures that Time Out Market Miami is a place where you get a true taste of the city. Our guests can choose from culinary masterpieces, delicious tacos, vegan fare, sushi bowls, beautiful patisserie and more – there really is something for everyone. We are dedicated to the democratization of fine dining, so everything here is affordable. Now that Time Out Market Miami is open, the hottest tables in town are communal.”
Three bars offering cocktails by the city’s most renowned mixologists.
Time Out Market Miami features a main bar in the center of the market, serving innovative craft cocktails, and two side bars with monthly rotating activations. All three bars offer an unparalleled drinks menu featuring 15 concoctions created by top local mixologists from some of Miami’s most renowned bars: Broken Shaker, which ranked as the No. 1 bar in America; Sweet Liberty, which ranked in 2018’s World’s 50 Best Bars; the new Generator Hostel Miami, the first U.S. outpost for the major European brand; and Time Out Market’s own specialized bar team. In addition, guests can also choose from 25 wine selections, available by the glass or bottle; six varieties of Champagne and sparkling wine; four beer options by local breweries on tap; and two frozen cocktail options – a frosé and a piña colada – to help beat the heat.
The Time Out Market experience
Time Out Market Miami’s curated mix is what gives visitors a true taste of the city. After exploring and sampling a variety of dishes and drinks from the surrounding kitchens and bars – all served on chinaware with flatware and in glasses – friends and family come together to enjoy their meals at communal tables in the center of Time Out Market.
Time Out Market Miami’s design and cultural elements – created together with local talent
The design of Time Out Market Miami is a reflection of the city, inspired by the style and glamour of the local Art Deco movement, infused with elements of the Time Out Market brand. The market is a rectangular space with light streaming in from large windows and wooden communal tables in the center, surrounded by open kitchens where guests explore, order and receive food. Pink terrazzo – reflecting the local sunsets’ hues and poured-in-place in much the same way as the material used in South Beach’s Art Deco buildings – makes the kitchen counters a defining and striking design feature. The pink contrasts with the kitchens’ glossy black tiles serving as the backdrop for the chefs’ energy, talent and creativity – all this is fully on display to focus on the democratization of fine dining and provide a neutral canvas. The colour scheme is complimented by the exposed concrete floors and the textured material of the grey ceiling, illuminated by pastel-colored neon lights, representing a well-known Miami design element.
The Time Out Market team worked closely with local architects Urban Robot on the design of the space, following the vision of local architectural pioneer Morris Lapidus who said "If you create the stage setting and it is grand, then everyone who enters will play their part."
Another visual focal point is a large media wall offering insights into Time Out content highlighting the best things to do in the city, featuring exhibitions, events, concerts and more – curated by local Time Out editors to inspire visitors. The screen will also present artwork from some of the city's main illustrators, as part of the project 'Time Out Animated Cities'. Miami based Gabriela David (Brazil) and Kiko Rodriguez (Cuba), Joao Fazenda and Bernardo Carvalho (both from Portugal) were among the first artists chosen to portray Miami's exciting landscape.
The menu boards are also an artistic element of the market as they aim to do more than just provide information on dishes offered by the chefs, instead they visually represent the food and tell a story – a pillar of the Time Out brand. They also add a cultural twist as they were designed by Chalk and Brush, a team of local artists led by Cinthia Santos and Benjamin Levy. They created beautiful, authentic hand-lettered artwork for the boards, bringing to life each chef’s menus. Living by the mission that art can change a space, Chalk and Brush is known for its custom, hand-crafted art and design on chalkboard menus, murals, and more.
More information about Time Out Market Miami’s vendors, bars and hours of operation can be found at www.timeoutmarket.com/miami.
Time Out Market Miami is part of the global expansion of this successful culinary phenomenon
Time Out Market is rooted in the heritage of Time Out – a magazine created at a kitchen table in London in 1968 to inspire and enable people to explore and enjoy the best of the city. Since then, Time Out editors have been writing about the best food, drinks and cultural experiences to help people go out better. Today, a global team of local expert journalists curates the best things to do in 327 cities in 58 countries across websites, magazines, social media, and live events. Now this curation is fully brought to life at Time Out Market.
Julio Bruno, CEO of Time Out Group plc, stated:
“We are very proud to bring Time Out Market to Miami – it is an exciting and vibrant city known for its incredibly diverse food and cultural scene, making it a fantastic fit for our brand. Time Out has helped people go out better in the world’s greatest cities since 1968, it is now synonymous with the best of the city. That is why Time Out Market is the perfect extension of our brand: our curation carries huge respect and trust, and that allows us to bring the very best of the city in a physical location to our audience. Our first Time Out Market in Lisbon has been so successful that we are rolling out this unique format globally, starting with Miami. By the end of 2019, there will be six Time Out Markets, spanning a total of 185,000 square feet, offering almost 4,000 seats and food from 120 of the world’s best chefs.”
In 2014, the editorial team behind Time Out Lisbon turned a historic market building into Time Out Market Lisbon, the world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation. Today, it is Portugal’s most popular attraction with 3.9 million visitors in 2018. This hugely successful culinary phenomenon will now expand globally with new Time Out Markets opening in Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal in 2019, and with Dubai, London-Waterloo and Prague following later.
What connects all markets is a carefully curated mix of top chefs and restaurateurs, and culinary and cultural experiences – all housed in unique buildings capturing the soul of the city. However, the execution of each Time Out Market is distinctly local to give a true taste of the city it is in.