1. St Catherine’s Oratory
What is it? A lookout that stands on one of the highest points of the island, known locally as the Pepperpot.
Why go? It's the only remaining medieval lighthouse in England and looks a bit like a stone rocket (although those buttresses at the bottom were added much later). The tower was built in 1328 by Walter de Godeton in an attempt to atone for stealing wine from a shipwreck; a priest would operate a light at the top while praying for lost sailors. Take a tour of the newer , still-working St Catherine's Lighthouse too, built in 1838 and just a few miles away at Niton Undercliffe.