This temple is the Tokyo branch of the Nishi-Honganji Temple in Kyoto, and is a temple for Jodo Shinshu, the most practised brand of Buddhism in the country. Established in Yokoyamacho near Asakusa in 1617, the temple went up in flames in the Great Fire of Meireki and the structure was relocated to Tsukiji.
Completed in 1934, the current exotically unusual exterior is made of stone with an Indian architectural motif. The interior of the Main Worship Hall, or Hondo, has a traditional Shinshu temple style, whose stained glass, chandeliers and furniture inside is worth seeing up close. This iteration was designed by architectural historian Ito Chuta, an honorary professor at the Tokyo Imperial University (currently known as Tokyo University). The temple is lit up in the evenings, revealing a beautiful alter-ego to the structure.
Recently, a café has opened on site, with a good view of the grand facade. Get here before 10.30am and order the gorgeous Japanese-style breakfast set – it consists of 16 dainty dishes plus rice and miso soup
|Venue name:||Tsukiji Hongwanji||Contact:|
3-15-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku
|Transport:||Tsukiji Station (Hibiya line), exit 1; Shintomicho Station (Yurakucho line); Higashi-Ginza Station (Asakusa line); Tsukijishijo Station (Oedo line)|