Everyone’s got their personal favourite fish and chip shop, whether it’s your local chippy or one you visited just the once on holiday in Cornwall. But which fish and chip shop holds the crown in the UK?
Well, we’ll soon find out. The National Fish and Chip Awards, which hasn’t actually happened since 2020 because of the old ‘rona, has just announced its shortlist for 2023 – so you can see if your favourite stands a chance of taking home the trophy.
The 2020 winner was The Cod’s Scallops in Wallaton, Nottingham. The previous year Krispie’s in Exmouth, Devon, was crowned the best.
President of the National Federation of Fish Friers, Andrew Crook, said: ‘Being able to announce the top 40 finalists for this category is an absolute pleasure. It is no secret that the industry are facing some challenges.
‘That said, this industry is built upon British stoicism. And with spirit and determination we are committed to supporting our members and seeing through tough times. We cannot wait to celebrate at the awards ceremony in February 2023.’
The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge on February 28.
There are a number of different categories, including the NFFF Quality Award and the Best Newcomer Award, but only the shortlist for the Takeaway of the Year have been announced so far.
The shortlist is as follows:
- Chips @ No.8, Prestwich
- Angel Lane Chippie, Penrith
- Olley’s Fish Experience, Herne Hill
- Shipdeck, Trethomas
- Fishermans Bay, Whitley Bay
- The Bearded Sailor, Pudsey
- Ipswich CodFellas, Ipswich
- The Fish Bank, Sherburn in Elmet
- Low’s Traditional Fish & Chips, Westhill
- Sea and Earth, Nottingham
- Hiks, Swansea
- Pisces, Heswall
- Moore’s Fish and Chip Shop, Castle Douglas
- French’s Fish Shop, Wells next to the Sea
- The Oyster Shell, Bath
- Fish Kitchen 1854, Maesycwmmer
- Fishers of Hunstanton, Hunstanton
- Whiteheads Fish and Chips Ltd
- Mr Chippy, York
- Robinson Traditional fish and chips, Birmingham
- Pier Point, Torquay
- Henley’s of Wivenhoe, Colchester
- The posh fish and chip company, Cardiff
- Newington Fish Bar, Ramsgate
- The Merchant fish and chips, Ballymena
- Brockley’s Rock, Brockley
- Mike’s Traditional Fish & Chips
- Lewis’s Fish and Grill, Maidstone
- Auckley Friery, Doncaster
- Chipmongers, Portstewart
- Oceans, Leeds
- The Fish Works, Largs
- The Fisherman’s Kitchen, Southsea
- West End Fish & Chips, Carmarthen
- Grosvenor fish bar, Norwich
- Finney’s, Benllech
- Molly’s Fish ‘n’ Chip shop, Woking
- Belmont bay fish bar, Harrow
- Marina Fish And Chips, Skegness
- Fiddlers Elbow FIsh & Chips, Leintwardine