September 11 memorial events in New York City
Find out where to pay your respects with our guide to September 11 memorial events in NYC, and a guide to 9/11 memorials.
Thu Sep 11 2014
Photograph: Beth Levendis
On the occasion of the 13th anniversary of 9/11, we've gathered a list of September 11 memorial events around New York City. Take part in the 9/11 Commemoration Ceremony or view the Tribute of Light, two bright beams of light in the sky that evoke the Twin Towers. You can also learn about the 9/11 Memorial (and how to reserve tickets to visit the site), as well tour the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
September 11 memorials
Years of planning went into this monument, which opened on the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks. Called “Reflecting Absence,” the design by architect Michael Arad features two reflecting pools that sit within the footprint of each of the Twin Towers.
The 9/11 Memorial Museum is a testament not only to the inner strength of New Yorkers but also to the idea that a great city that can still stand strong. It's a tough institution to visit, hardly what one could call fun, but with the right kind of eyes, it's a truly beautiful and moving tribute to the events that took place.
You might also likeSee more in Things to Do
- Join the Millions March protest in Manhattan tomorrow
- Holiday Under the Stars
- Compare vintage and current scenes of NYC during the holidays
- Christmas Lights and Cannoli Tour
- 21 awesome things happening in New York this week
- See photos from today's massive Millions March NYC
- Columbus Circle Holiday Market
- Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park
- See the photos from the 2014 Smallest Penis in Brooklyn contest (NSFW)
- Macy's holiday windows