Outdoor adventure trips
Tue May 8 2012
Ventura Flight Training, Farmingdale, L.I.
RECOMMENDED: See all weekend getaway ideas
Day: Flying lessons; Farmingdale, L.I. (1hr from NYC by car, 1½hrs from NYC by LIRR)
This residential enclave also serves as a base for the First Flight program at Ventura Flight Training. Once you get situated in the Piper Warrior II, the pilot gives a brief but thorough tutorial about the craft’s instruments before takeoff. You’re in control for almost an hour as you soar over Long Island Sound. If you have a strong stomach, ask the pilot to demonstrate how to make steep twists and turns, so you can feel the effects of g-force. (ventura.aero). 1hr lesson $299 (includes one guest in the back seat).
Weekend: Rock climbing, kayaking and hiking; New Paltz, NY (1hr from NYC by van)
Discover Outdoors’ semiannual, two-day journey caters to all levels of thrill seekers. A van whisks you from the city to a private campsite at the base of the Shawangunk Ridge—a serene setting boasting some of the country’s best natural climbing rocks. Day One ends with a campfire and a feast prepared by the guides. While they cook, you’re free to swim or kayak in the Hudson. Tents can be rented for $15; other supplies, plus the van and food, are included. (discoveroutdoors.com). June 30–July 1; $425.
Long weekend: Rafting and zip-lining; Charlemont, MA (4hrs from NYC by car)
Spend your first day whitewater rafting in the Deerfield River: Offered at different intensity levels, the expeditions last about eight hours and finish with a lunch (crabapplewhitewater.com, $67–$94). For your next activity, schedule a three-hour zip-lining trip in the Berkshire foothills along the Deerfield’s banks (deerfieldzipline.com, $94). You’ll also want to check out the glacial potholes of Shelburne Falls, where you can admire awe-inspiring nature-made pools (shelburnefalls.com).
Where to stay: Warfield House Inn (413-339-6600, warfieldhouseinn.com; rates $90–$150), comprising seven rooms in the main house and five in a bungalow cottage, is an affordable option for midtrip R&R.
See more in Things to Do
Events calendar for New York City
- Infograph: The NYC subway versus subways around the world
- NYC subway station secrets, hidden stops and abandoned places
- Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
- Buses to Atlantic City from NYC and other transport options
- Make your NYC subway commute easier with these tricks
- Weekend trips from NYC to beach towns, mountain resorts and more
- Romantic hotels in NYC: Six spots to put you in the mood for love
- Best New York hotels: Choose your perfect place to stay
- Day trips from NYC to beaches, parks, wineries and more
- Best budget hotels and hostels in New York City