Time Out Market Boston announces today that it will open to the public on Thursday June 27 at 7.30am. The highly anticipated food and cultural market brings the best of the city under one roof, right at the heart of The Fenway neighborhood. There will be 15 eateries with food from some of Boston’s top chefs and restaurateurs, exciting craft cocktails and cultural experiences from local talent – all handpicked by Time Out Boston’s editorial team.
Time Out Market Boston also reveals final additions to the all-star lineup of previously announced chefs and restaurateurs: Saltie Girl will offer fresh seafood and New England favorites, and Mobile Cooks will serve healthy and scrumptious vegan fare. The previously announced curated mix of acclaimed chefs and beloved restaurateurs includes Tim and Nancy Cushman, Tony Maws, Peter Ungár, Michael Schlow, BISq, Revolution Health Kitchen and more.
Located at 401 Park Drive, Time Out Market Boston will offer across 25,000 square feet 15 eateries, two full-service bars, a retail shop and communal-style seating. The unique architecture of the market blends the building’s original Art Deco feel with modern design elements, respecting the history of the iconic 401 Park and making the space not only a culinary and cultural but also a visual experience.
Time Out Market Boston’s opening hours will be Monday to Friday from 7.30am and Saturday to Sunday from 9am with some eateries offering breakfast items; all other eateries open at 11am. It will close Sunday to Thursday at 11pm and Friday to Saturday at midnight.
“Time Out Market Boston will bring a new and unique experience to the city and one of its greatest neighborhoods, The Fenway. We can’t wait for June 27 when we will open the doors to Boston’s next great food and cultural destination,” says Time Out Market CEO Didier Souillat. “We are incredibly proud that Boston’s most outstanding chefs have accepted our invitation to join Time Out Market – they have all been carefully chosen by our Time Out editors to bring the best of Boston under one roof and offer a true taste of the city. Our guests will get to choose from over 100 fantastic dishes every day of the week from morning to night: whether guests are stopping by for breakfast to get coffee, smoothies or an acai bowl, enjoy seafood, mezze or pasta for lunch, or an evening of craft cocktails, pizza or culinary masterpieces with family and friends. It is our mission to democratize fine dining – we are making fine dining casual, and casual extraordinary.”
Final additions to the lineup: outstanding culinary talent and an unparalleled beverage program
Saltie Girl will present fresh seafood and New England favorites
The team behind Boston’s award-winning Saltie Girl – a go-to restaurant among local seafood lovers – has long been inspired by the sea and remains dedicated to sourcing the best ingredients. Now Kathy Sidell and Chef Kyle McClelland will bring Saltie Girl’s succulent lobster rolls and signature sustainable tinned seafood (known as the largest collection in New England) along with fresh seafood dishes to Time Out Market. Recognized by Boston magazine as "Best Raw Bar" and known for reinvigorating the classics, Saltie Girl will serve New England favorites like the fried clam roll and the signature lobster roll (hot and cold), bacon-kissed clam chowder, as well as a selection of their tinned fish.
Mobile Cooks will offer healthy and scrumptious vegan fare
Mobile Cooks will offer a menu of creative vegan fare featuring locally sourced ingredients during a three-month residency. Founded by Matthew Kaplan, Mobile Cooks’ mission is to empower cooks, support local farmers and feed the world delicious vegan food. At Time Out Market Boston, Mobile Cooks will welcome different chefs for daily or weekly specials and guests will get to enjoy healthy and scrumptious menu items like Buffalo Fried Cauliflower Tacos with almond cotija, celery and pickled carrot and Mushroom Noodle Bowl with crispy maitake mushrooms, cayenne maple tempeh, bok choy and rice noodles in a miso-tahini sauce and topped with apples, peanuts, mint and lime.
A beverage program to complement Time Out Market’s culinary offering
Time Out Market Boston will feature two bars with an unparalled beverage program designed to highlight the elements that make Boston a world class city. Taking inspiration from the menus of the chefs, the beverage program has been designed to complement the unique culinary offerings of the market. Time Out Market Boston guests will enjoy seasonal craft cocktails alongside a selection of 14 local craft beers and two local craft ciders on tap, including brews from Night Shift Brewing Company (Everett), Idle Hands Craft Ales (Malden), Two Roads Brewing Co. (Stratford, Conn.), Fore River Brewing Company (Portland, Maine) and Prospect Ciderworks ‘SIDRO’ Cider (Boston, MA) as well as a selection of 22 wines, available by the glass and bottle. Non-alcoholic beverages will include Kombucha on draft from Portland, Maine-based Urban Farm Fermentory and a selection of seasonal mocktails.
“Samuels & Associates is pleased to have partnered with Time Out Market to bring a phenomenal lineup of chefs and cultural experiences to the Fenway’s already notable food scene,” said Steve Samuels, Founder and Chairman of Samuels & Associates which has redeveloped 401 Park. “Along with the new open green space at 401 Park, Time Out Market will be another great destination and relaxation spot for residents and visitors to the Fenway.”
Previously announced chefs and restaurateurs to join Time Out Market Boston
To select Boston’s outstanding culinary talent, local Time Out editors tested and tasted the city’s best food and then invited only the very best chefs and eateries to join Time Out Market. The result of this curation is a stellar lineup, offering an incredible range of local cuisine – served on fine china and flatware, and made affordable and accessible. In addition to the just-revealed Saltie Girl and Mobile Cooks, Time Out Market Boston will feature the following top chefs and much-acclaimed restaurateurs that have been previously announced:
- James Beard Award-winning Chef Tim and Nancy Cushman will take over two kitchens with a pair of Asian concepts within Time Out Market: Ms. Cluck’s Deluxe Chicken & Dumplings will offer a creative spin on chicken and dumplings riffing on Asian cuisines; and gogo ya will reinvent the way guests think about sushi with inventive dishes, some of which are inspired by the award-winning o ya and Hojoko. Rob Wong, chef de cuisine of Hojoko Japanese Tavern will be overseeing the two Time Out Market kitchens with Chef Tim Cushman.
- Chef Tony Maws, named Best Chef Northeast by The James Beard Foundation, will bring juicy Craigie Burger variations to Time Out Market, inspired by the iconic and highly sought-after signature burger at Craigie on Main.
- One of Boston’s most celebrated culinary talents, Chef Peter Ungár of highly acclaimed Tasting Counter – which he opened in 2015 with his wife Ginhee Ungár – will offer guests interpretations of the restaurant’s modern and beautifully handcrafted dishes, influenced by culinary techniques and traditions from around the world and utilizing New England ingredients.
- James Beard Award-winning Chef Michael Schlow will bring two concepts to Time Out Market Boston: Monti Roman Pizzeria will offer Roman-style pizza – cooked in a special wood burning oven – that will be crispy, airy, with a slightly chewy crust topped with simple, flavorful ingredients. With his second Italian Kitchen concept, Chef Michael Schlow will focus on a menu full of simple, honest Italian ingredients that best celebrate the country’s superb cuisine, including dishes such as House-made Cavatelli with spicy Italian sausage ragu.
- Revolution Health Kitchen will make Time Out Market visitors feel their best with a delicious and organic plant-based menu. Co-owners Heather and Dominic Costa will offer satisfying salads, hearty soups, acai bowls, fresh juices and smoothies.
- Nina and Raffi Festekjian will serve Eastern Mediterranean flavors with anoush’ella, featuring traditional recipes using fresh, authentic ingredients inspired by their Armenian-Lebanese heritage. On the menu will be dishes like Mezze of Hummus, Baba-Ganoush and Walnut Harissa, or the warm spices of Chicken Za’atarand Red Lentil Kofta Wraps.
- BISq will serve mouth-watering charcuterie, delicious cheese boards and eclectic sandwiches as well as big and bold new interpretations of Bisq-inspired dishes from Chef Alex Saenz.
- Cambridge’s celebrated modern-era Mamaleh’s Delicatessen will be serving up its delicious signature sandwiches, satisfying platters and modern interpretations of deli classics at Time Out Market Boston.
- Union Square Donuts – co-founder Josh Danoff’s bakery with a cult-like following – will bring its signature artisanal donuts, made from scratch daily with high-quality and wholesome ingredients. At Time Out Market, inventive flavor combinations like Sea Salt Bourbon Caramel, Brown Butter Hazelnut Crunchand Maple Bacon will be served.
- Coffee pioneer George Howell Coffee will bring its mission of seeking out the world’s best coffees to Time Out Market. Guests will get to enjoy George Howell Coffee’s signature menu of batch brewed single-farm coffees as well as a selection of micro-lot coffees on a single-cup pour over bar. There will also be espresso-based drinks and seasonal coffee-based mocktails and a full line of pastries and desserts from Seven Stars Bakery and Praline.
- Gelato & Chill introduces its artisanal gelato, based on authentic and traditional Italian recipes. Artisanal gelato master Vincent Turco creates small batch, handmade gelato using organic, additive-free local ingredients and will regularly create new indulgent flavors along with gluten-free and vegan-friendly frozen treats as well as dairy-free sorbets.
Time Out Market Boston is part of the global expansion of this successful culinary phenomenon
In 2014, the editorial team behind Time Out Lisbon turned a historic market building into Time Out Market Lisbon, the world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation. Today, it is Portugal’s most popular attraction with 3.9 million visitors in 2018. This hugely successful culinary phenomenon is now expanding globally with new Time Out Markets having opened in Miami and New York in May 2019, followed by Boston in June, and Chicago and Montreal later in 2019; Dubai is set to open in 2020, London-Waterloo in 2021 and Prague in 2022.
“We opened our first Time Out Market in Lisbon in 2014 and it has been a great success, loved by both locals and visitors. Now we are rolling this fantastic format out around the world: in May, we opened Time Out Market in Miami and New York; June will see Time Out Market Boston open its doors, and Chicago and Montreal will follow later this year,” said Julio Bruno, CEO of Time Out Group plc. “By the end of 2019, there will be six Time Out Markets, offering a total of 185,000 square feet and food from 120 of the world’s best chefs. Time Out Market is a perfect extension of our iconic Time Out brand which since 1968 has helped people go out better in the world’s greatest cities with its unique content. Now we are bringing our editorial curation of the very best of the city to life in physical locations around the world for everyone to enjoy.”
What connects all Time Out Markets is a carefully curated mix of top culinary and cultural talent – all housed in unique buildings capturing the soul of the city. However, the execution of each market is distinctly local to give a true taste of the city it is in. Visitors get to explore local culture and affordable fine dining from a diverse range of eateries and then come together with family and friends to enjoy their meals at communal tables in the center of the market.
Time Out Market is rooted in the heritage of Time Out – a magazine created in London in 1968 to inspire and enable people to explore and enjoy the best of the city. Since then, Time Out editors have been writing about the best food, drink and cultural experiences. Today, a global team of local expert journalists is curating the best things to do in 315 cities across websites, magazines, social media and live events. Now this curation is brought to life at Time Out Market.
– Ends –
Notes to editors
For more information please contact:
To stay up-to-date on the latest from Time Out Market Boston, please follow us on our social media channels:
About Time Out Market
Time Out Market brings the best of the city under one roof: its best chefs, drinks and cultural experiences. The world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation, Time Out Market captures decades of local knowledge, independent reviews and expert opinions. Everything that is being offered in Time Out Market must have been tested and tasted and finally selected by independent Time Out journalists.
The first Time Out Market opened in 2014 in a historic market hall in Lisbon and quickly turned into a huge success. This unique format, which is all about making high-quality fine food affordable and accessible for all, is now coming to other great cities around the world as the company is rolling out Time Out Market globally. Time Out Market Miami and Time Out New York opened in May 2019, followed in June by Time Out Market Boston and new Time Out Markets are also set to open in Chicago and Montreal this year; Dubai will follow in 2020, London-Waterloo in 2021 and Prague in 2022 (the sites in Montreal, Dubai and Prague are the Group’s first management agreements) – all featuring the cities’ best and most celebrated chefs, restaurateurs, drinks and cultural experiences.
Time Out Market is part of Time Out Group plc, a global media and entertainment business that inspires and enables people to explore and enjoy the best the city. Time Out launched in London in 1968 with a magazine to help people discover the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the city. Today, the Group’s digital and physical presence comprises websites, mobile, magazines, Live Events and Time Out Market. Across these platforms Time Out distributes its curated content – written by professional journalists – around the best food, drink, music, theatre, art, travel and entertainment across 315 cities and in 58 countries. Time Out, listed on AIM, is headquartered in the United Kingdom.