Time Out Market Miami announces today that it will open on Thursday, 9 May 2019, at 8am. It will bring a new experience to South Beach: a unique food and cultural market that will showcase the city’s most outstanding culinary talents, serving Miami on a plate.
Time Out Market Miami also reveals final additions to its stellar lineup: James Beard Award-winning Chef Norman Van Aken will introduce his pizza concept Beach Pie and Chef Miguel Massens will take a residence in the demonstration kitchen. Previously announced award-winning top chefs and much-loved restaurateurs to join include Jeremy Ford, Antonio Bachour, Giorgio Rapicavoli, Suzy Batlle of Azucar and more.
Located just off South Beach’s Lincoln Road, at 1601 Drexel Avenue, Time Out Market Miami will bring the best of the city under one roof: its best chefs, drinks and cultural experiences, based on editorial curation. Across 18,000 sq ft, there will be 18 eateries, a demo kitchen and three bars.
The market will be open daily from 11am with some eateries serving from 8am coffee, juices and delicious breakfast items to start the day; from Sunday to Thursday it will close at 11pm, on Friday and Saturday at midnight.
“9 May is going to be a big day for us: We couldn’t be more excited to open the doors to Time Out Market Miami in this great city; it is our first Time Out Market outside of Europe and in the US. We look forward to adding something new to South Beach and making Time Out Market a must-visit destination for both locals and visitors,” said Didier Souillat, CEO of Time Out Market. “We bring together the city’s most outstanding chefs and mixologists, have an absolutely stunning space in a fantastic neighbourhood and a passionate team. This mix will make Time Out Market Miami a unique place where you get a true taste of the city: Our guests can choose from culinary masterpieces, delicious tacos, vegan fare, sushi bowls, beautiful patisserie and more – there really is something for everyone, whether you visit in the morning, for lunch or dinner, or anytime in between. True to our mission to democratize fine dining, everything will be affordable. When Time Out Market Miami opens, the hottest tables in town will be communal.”
Final additions to the lineup: exceptional culinary talent and cocktails created by renowned bars
Beach Pie by Chef Norman Van Aken will offer hand-crafted, artisan-style pizza at Time Out Market Miami. Featuring local and seasonal ingredients, each pie will reflect Chef Van Aken’s career-long dedication to the South Florida region, and his iconic New World flavor profile. The multiple James Beard Award-winning chef has crafted five bold pizzas (with gluten-free crust option available) including the Redland CSA, showcasing the bounty of Miami's dynamic agricultural region, and the South Beach, which appeals to health-centric diners, featuring darlings of the plant-based movement: kale and cauliflower. More globally rooted pies include the N’Awlins, an ode to New Orleans’ signature Creole culture; Spain Meets Italy, topped with jamón and wine-soaked figs, and the traditional Old World, a classic version of the Margherita, with creamy mozzarella, bright tomato sauce and fresh basil. A selection of wood-fired pots, featuring a rotating selection of seasonal ingredients, will also be available.
The demonstration kitchen allows the Time Out Market team to showcase a rotating lineup ranging from up-and-coming culinary geniuses to accomplished visiting chefs who want to reach new audiences, try something new or simply enjoy the experience. The first chef to take over the demo kitchen will be Miami-born, Cuban-American, Chef Miguel Massens who is one of South Florida’s most outstanding young culinary talents, also one of Forbes Miami's Best Kept Secret Chefs to Know Right Now and one of Zagat's Under the Radar Chefs to Know in Miami. His career spans stints at Michelin-starred restaurants such as Daniel in New York and The French Laundry in California’s Napa Valley. The former opening chef de cuisine at Norman Van Aken’s Three in Wynwood, Massens will have a three-month residency at Time Out Market during which he will showcase dishes from his forthcoming restaurant, Antilia. In addition to some choice dishes, diners will also have the opportunity to experience a 5-course, prix-fixe tasting menu on select nights while sitting at the only open-kitchen counter in the market to watch the chef and his team in action. Massens draws from South Florida's multicultural community as well as his experience working in kitchens across countries like Spain and Mexico to create dishes such as a Pan-Seared Chochoyote, a vegetarian and Mexican inspired dish including Masa Dumplings in Mole Amarillo, Huitlacoche, Spinach, Pickled Onions, Queso Fresco and Cilantro. Chef Miguel Massens will also present on the menu a West African-inspired Garri-crusted Grouper with Yuca, paired with Dates and a Coconut-Achiote Sauce.
Time Out Market Miami will feature three bars: the main bar in the center of the market, serving innovative craft cocktails, and two side bars with monthly rotating activations. All three bars will offer an unparalleled drinks menu featuring 15 concoctions created by top local mixologists from some of Miami’s most renowned bars: Broken Shaker, which ranked as the No. 1 bar in America recently; Sweet Liberty, which ranked in 2018’s World’s 50 Best Bars; the new Generator Hostel Miami, the first U.S. outpost for the major European brand; and Time Out Market’s own specialized bar team. In addition, guests can also choose from 25 wine selections, available by the glass or bottle; six varieties of Champagne and sparkling wine; four beer options by local breweries on tap; and two frozen cocktail options – a frosé and a piña colada – to help beat the heat. Wine by the glass will start from $6 and signature cocktails from $11 (excl. tax).
Previously announced chefs and restaurateurs to join Time Out Market Miami
In addition to the just-revealed Beach Pie by Norman Van Aken and Miguel Massens, Time Out Market Miami will feature the following much-acclaimed chefs and restaurateurs previously announced. They will offer an incredible range of local cuisine – affordable and accessible for all with an average food check per person of around $20:
- One of Miami’s top culinary masters and considered the founding father of New World Cuisine, Chef Norman Van Aken will present his K’West concept with a menu that delivers the remarkable taste of South Florida and the Keys
- Jeremy Ford, critically acclaimed winner of Top Chef Season 13, will bring his interpretation of Korean flavors and exceptional, artistic dishes with intense and delicious flavors known from his celebrated Stubborn Seed in Miami South Beach
- Antonio Bachour, recipient of the 2018 ‘Best Pastry Chef Award’ at the Best Chef Awards in Milan, will satisfy every sweet tooth with his beautiful patisserie and confections
- The incredibly talented Chef Giorgio Rapicavoli will offer a taste of the artfully presented dishes that made his restaurant, Eating House, an instant success and local favourite
- Michael Beltran, Chef of the Year nominee and recipient of Restaurant of the Year for Ariete, will present Leña, an all wood burning concept
- Alberto Cabrera will introduce The Local Cuban, serving his award-winning Cuban sandwich and more; the concept is inspired by the time he spent in the kitchen with his family as a child and his career in the kitchens of some of Miami’s top chefs as well as his own much-loved restaurants
- KUSH will be brought to Time Out Market by Matt Kuscher to offer epicurean, American cuisine based on locally sourced ingredients
- Coyo Taco chef Scott Linquist, one of the country’s most acclaimed chefs in Mexican cuisine, will offer his hugely popular tacos and other specialities
- Suzy Batlle, the Queen of Cuban ice cream, will bring her legendary creamery Azucar, serving popular flavors and new custom flavors for Time Out Market
- Partners in both love and life, Veronica Menin and Diego Tosoni will bring their plant-based Love Life Cafe which is all about clean and fresh food full of flavour
- 33 Kitchen by Chef Sebastian Fernandez, named Best Peruvian Restaurant in Miami in 2016, will serve Peruvian-inspired dishes
- Miami Smokers, an urban smokehouse started by Andres Barrientos and James Bowers, will debut its first charcuterie bar
- Stephen’s Deli is a spin-off of Miami’s oldest and only New York style deli since 1954 and the second Time Out Market Miami locale for Matt Kuscher
- Christian and Domenica Plotczyk redefined Miami’s oyster scene with Ella’s Oyster Bar and at Time Out Market they will introduce Salt & Brine
- Partners Chef Cesar Zapata and Aniece Meinhold will bring Pho Mo, a spin on their beloved Viet-Cajun spot Phuc Yea
- With Wabi Sabi by Shuji, Chef Shuji Hiyakawa will compress his three decades’ worth of experience in Japanese fine dining into five signature dishes focused on quality and flawless execution
Time Out Market Miami is part of the global expansion of this successful culinary phenomenon
Time Out Market is rooted in the heritage of Time Out – a magazine created at a kitchen table in London in 1968 to inspire and enable people to explore and enjoy the best of the city. Since then, Time Out editors have been writing about the best food, drink and cultural experiences to help people go out better. Today, a global team of local expert journalists is curating the best things to do in 315 cities in 58 countries across websites, magazines, social media and live events. Now this curation is brought to life at Time Out Market.
In 2014, the editorial team behind Time Out Lisbon turned a historic market building into Time Out Market Lisbon, the world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation. Today, it is Portugal’s most popular attraction with 3.9 million visitors in 2018. This hugely successful culinary phenomenon will now expand globally with new Time Out Markets opening in Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal in 2019, and with Dubai, London-Waterloo and Prague following later.
What connects all markets is a carefully curated mix of top chefs and restaurateurs, and of culinary and cultural experiences – all housed in unique buildings capturing the soul of the city. However, the execution of each Time Out Market is distinctly local to give a true taste of the city it is in.