Time Out Market New York announces today that it will open to the public on Friday, May 31, at 8am. The highly anticipated food and cultural market brings the best of the city under one roof: 21 eateries with food from some of New York’s top chefs and restaurateurs, cocktails from renowned mixologists and cultural experiences by local talent – all handpicked by Time Out New York’s editorial team.
Time Out Market New York also reveals final additions to its stellar culinary lineup: James Beard Award-winning chef David Burke will offer an elevated menu of American classics; Ivy Stark will introduce a second concept, serving a menu influenced by modern Mexican cuisine and Fish Cheeks will bring a modern approach to traditional Thai seafood. Previously announced acclaimed chefs and beloved restaurateurs include Juliana’s, NUR, Breads Bakery, Mr. Taka, Clinton St. Baking Company, Miss Ada, Alta Calidad and more.
Occupying 21,000 square feet across two floors of the historic Empire Stores at 55 Water Street, Time Out Market New York will bring a new and unique experience to Dumbo, Brooklyn. The ground floor will host 17 culinary concepts along with two full bars and communal-style seating. The fifth-floor will have four additional chef-driven eateries, a full bar and an outdoor rooftop overlooking the East River, providing guests with spectacular views of the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan’s skyline; the top floor is also where the stage is located for cultural experiences and performances from local artists, DJs and bands. The architecture of the market blends the building’s original industrial feel with modern design elements, making the space not only a culinary but also a visual feat.
Time Out Market New York will be open daily from 8am with some eateries serving coffee, juices, smoothies and delicious breakfast items; all other eateries will open from 11am. From Sunday to Thursday the market will close at 11pm, and on Friday and Saturday at midnight.
“We couldn’t be more excited to open Time Out Market New York and introduce a new and unique food and cultural destination to this incredible city. Our Time Out editors have carefully selected the city’s most outstanding chefs, mixologists and local talent and now we bring this curated mix together in one unique space,” says Time Out Market CEO Didier Souillat. “Imagine a place where you get a true taste of the city: you can choose from culinary masterpieces, Tonkotsu ramen, pizza, Middle Eastern cuisine, vegan fare, juicy burgers, Kosher deli, tacos, chocolate babka and more. The variety is amazing and there will be something for everyone, from morning through night. When Time Out Market New York opens, the hottest tables in town will be communal.”
Final additions to the lineup: exceptional culinary talent and cocktails created by renowned bars
Celebrated chef David Burke, who is known as a leading pioneer in American cooking, will be adding to his expansive culinary portfolio with the opening of David Burke Tavern at Time Out Market New York. The James Beard Award winner will use his worldly gastronomic skills to prepare a menu of American classics, each elevated by his creative, acclaimed culinary technique. Guests can expect a variety of offerings such as Spicy Lobster Dumplings with corn tomato salad and lemon tomato miso sauce; Maple Bacon Clothesline with tomato Belgian waffle, gem lettuce and chipotle mayonnaise; and Hipster Steak Frites with flat-iron steak, shishitos, parmesan, chili oil and blue cheese crumble. The menu will also include a selection of rotating specials, beginning with the Avocado Toast with BKLYN Smoked ‘Pastrami’ Salmon and the Kale & Romaine Caesar Salad.
Ivy Stark is one of the city's top chefs with a wealth of experience gained at some of the most esteemed restaurants including Dos Caminos, Rosa Mexicano, El Toro Blanco and Mexican-inspired Casa Bocado which she opened in Nolita in April. As a signature chef, she will bring a second concept to Time Out Market New York, celebrating her 20-plus years of cooking Mexican food. With a menu packed with her interpretations of modern Mexican cuisine, Ivy Stark will serve scrumptious and light creations such as Red Quinoa Molotes, Tacos Asados de la Casa with a variety of delectable fillings, Quesadilla Grande with jumbo shrimp, and a fresh catch seafood cocktail, Coctel de Campechana. Many of these dishes will also be available as gluten-free and vegan options.
Fish Cheeks – named after the Asian delicacy, considered the tastiest part of a fish – is known for their contemporary Thai fare with a focus on seafood. The critically-acclaimed and widely-beloved Noho restaurant offers a menu of unabashedly intense, fresh and vivid dishes that span the diverse regions of Thailand. Helmed by Thai owner Ohm Suansilphong and Jenn Saesue, Fish Cheeks celebrates the team’s cultural heritage and the culinary artistry found in Bangkok and beyond. Now they will bring their comforting Thai seafood, packed with authentic flavors, to Time Out Market New York. The menu will feature enticing dishes such as Oysters with nam jim seafood sauce and fried shallots, Phlaa Salmon (lightly cured salmon, chili jam, mint, makrut lime, lemongrass, and Thai bird's eye chili) and Coconut Crab Curry (a Southern style curry with crab meat, house-made curry paste and sea beans, served with rice).
Time Out Market New York’s three bars will offer an unparalleled menu of craft cocktails, beer and wine – highlighting drinks from local makers to international favorites. There will be ten signature cocktails, two of which were specially curated by some of the city’s most acclaimed mixologists. Ignacio ‘Nacho’ Jimenez from Ghost Donkey (Time Out New York 2018 Bar Award winner for ‘Best Crew’) created Lil’Loco made with local Dorothy Parker Gin; Takuma Watanabe from Angel’s Share (another 2018 Bar Award winner) crafted See-Saw with local Brooklyn Gin. The wide-ranging beer menu will include local favorites, such as Brooklyn Brewery, Bronx Brewery, Coney Island, and Sixpoint, as well as international offerings such as Stella and Modelo Especial. Rounding out the menu will be a variety of wine offerings covering everything from the Long Island based Bedell Cellars to an Oregon Pinot Noir and beyond.
Previously announced chefs and restaurateurs joining Time Out Market New York
To select New York’s outstanding culinary talent, local Time Out editors taste-tested the city’s best food and then invited only the very best chefs and the eateries they are passionate about to join Time Out Market. The result of this curation is a stellar lineup, offering an incredible range of local cuisine – served on fine china with flatware – made affordable and accessible for all. In addition to the just-revealed David Burke Tavern, Ivy Stark and Fish Cheeks, Time Out Market New York will feature the following top chefs, popular NY staples and beloved restaurateurs previously announced, with several of them offering dishes only available at Time Out Market:
- Juliana’s, a New York institution and one of America’s best pizza places, will serve up its delicious thin crust pizzas with several of its most crave-worthy preparations.
- NUR – the acclaimed, modern Middle Eastern restaurant in Gramercy – will bring some of its iconic dishes and a modern, bold and playful take on couscous to Time Out Market New York with their concept NURish.
- Ivy Stark will use her global culinary experience and passion for nourishing ingredients and bright flavors to introduce a new, fully plant-based concept. BKLYN wild will focus on fresh, market-driven ingredients to create crave-worthy and healthy comfort dishes.
- Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors has gained the reputation of New York’s premium butcher; at Time Out Market – its only Brooklyn outpost – the team will offer a mix of tasty signature sandwiches, juicy burgers, and other favorites.
- Center Cut – a concept by Reserve Cut – will bring a fully Kosher concept to Time Out Market New York. Albert Allaham will blend his well-known approach to Kosher fine-dining with deli-style dishes such as Signature Shawarma and Chicken Noodle Soup.
- Alta Calidad garnered a Michelin ‘Bib Gourmand’ distinction in 2018 and 2019 – now Chef and Owner Akhtar Nawab will bring his creative and innovative take on Mexican cuisine to Dumbo with must-have tacos, rotis and torta.
- Chef Takatoshi Nagara and Takayuki Watanabe will serve their creative take on Tonkotsu Ramen with Taka Ramen which has no shortage of rave reviews and an unparalleled pedigree when it comes to ramen cuisine.
- Little Ada – Miss Ada Chef and Owner Tomer Blechman’s concept at Time Out Market – will deliver a crave-worthy menu offering a twist on modern Mediterranean cuisine including several hummus variations, Israeli Salad, and more.
- One of Noho’s most popular restaurants, Bessou, will be brought by Owner Maiko Kyogoku and Executive Chef Emily Yuen to Time Out Market New York with a new, casual spin on their dishes inspired by Japanese family recipes.
- Clinton St. Baking Company – one of New York City’s most loved brunch spots – will open its highly-anticipated second location at the market. Co-Owners Chef Neil Kleinberg and DeDe Lahman will serve their melt-in-your-mouth pancakes and all-day breakfast including brand-new dishes like Brioche French Toast with Blackberries.
- Acclaimed Breads Bakery will come to Time Out Market with two concepts to offer its freshly baked goods in Brooklyn: The Bakery, serving amazing coffee and signature items such as pastries, babka and Time Out Market exclusive Dombos, and Breads Bagelry, creating delicious sandwiches on the iconic Jerusalem Bagel.
- FELICE Pasta Bar is set to become a neighborhood staple with its fresh pasta and soups full of the authentic flavors of Tuscany.
- Southern-style comfort food will be executed flawlessly by Jacob’s Pickles with a menu of abundant and flavorsome artisanal back-to-basic dishes.
- Pushing the boundaries of what frozen treats can be, Ice & Vice will bring its edgy and ultra-premium, ice creams, sorbets and frozen yogurts to Time Out Market New York.
- Loco Coco will refresh, refuel and power-up Dumbo with its vegan and ‘instagrammable’ superfood smoothies, smoothie bowls and fresh juices.
- DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections will satisfy guests’ cravings with its whimsical and indulgent safe-to-eat cookie dough served like ice cream.
- Avocaderia will bring its nourishing and creative menu, centered around the avocado, to the Time Out Market audience to serve healthy, fun and tasty toasts, nourishing bowls, guacamole and more.
Time Out Market New York is part of the global expansion of this successful culinary phenomenon
In 2014, the editorial team behind Time Out Lisbon turned a historic market building into Time Out Market Lisbon, the world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation. Today, it is Portugal’s most popular attraction with 3.9 million visitors in 2018. Time Out Market is now expanding globally with new sites in Miami (opened on 9 May 2019) and New York (opening on 31 May 2019), and Boston, Chicago and Montreal also following this year; Dubai is set to open in 2020, London-Waterloo in 2021 and Prague in 2022.
“Our first Time Out Market in Lisbon has been a great success story and that is why we are rolling this fantastic format out globally: earlier this month, we opened Time Out Market Miami – the first in the US – which is now followed by Time Out Market New York and more sites this year,” said Julio Bruno, CEO of Time Out Group plc. “By the end of 2019, there will be six Time Out Markets, together offering a total of 185,000 square feet and food from 120 of the world’s best chefs. This is a perfect extension of our iconic Time Out brand, which since 1968 has helped people go out better in the world’s greatest cities with its unique content. Now we are bringing our editorial curation of the best of the city to life in physical locations around the world for everyone to enjoy.”
What connects all Time Out Markets is a carefully curated mix of top culinary and cultural talent – all housed in unique buildings capturing the soul of the city. However, the execution of each market is distinctly local to give a true taste of the city it is in. Visitors get to explore local culture and affordable fine dining from the city’s top chefs and a diverse range of eateries and then come together with family and friends to enjoy their meals at communal tables in the center of the market.
Time Out Market is rooted in the heritage of Time Out – a magazine created in London in 1968 to inspire and enable people to explore and enjoy the best of the city. Since then, Time Out editors have been writing about the best food, drink and cultural experiences. Today, a global team of local expert journalists are curating the best things to do in 315 cities across websites, magazines, social media and live events. Now this curation is brought to life at Time Out Market.