The Teatre Municipal was the first theatre in Girona and organises a varied programme with something for everybody.
The Teatre Municipal de Girona exudes history through its very walls: built by the architect Martí Sureda, it was inaugurated in 1860 under the name of Teatro de la Reina. It was, in fact, the city's first theatre. During the Spanish Civil War, the CNT (Confederación Nacional de Trabajo, a confederation of independent trade unions) occupied the theatre and socialised it, putting on a programme of social and anarchist plays. Later, the theatre was taken over by the local council, then by the Grup Proscenium before eventually being returned to the council. The Municipal Theatre closed for renovation works in 1999, and it reopened seven years later. Since then, it's scheduled a widespread programme of events with something for everybody.
|Venue name:||Teatre Municipal||Contact:|
Pl del Vi 1