This castle dominates all the valleys of Puig Neulós
The construction of the Castle of Requesens dates approximately from the 10th century, and it wasn't long before it was involved in an important battle: the war of Requesens (1047-1072), which began with the taking of the castle by count Ponç II d'Empúries. Unfortunately, little remains of the building that stood during this historical event - only the parts located in its upper section. Centuries later, in 1402, it became the property of the counts of Barcelona. And not long afterwards, Alfons el Magnànim gave the castle to Dalmau de Rocaberti, viscount of Peralada. From the 16th century onwards, the castle was abandoned, until in the 19th century, Tomàs de Rocaberti, the then count of Peralada, decided to rebuild it. The man in charge of the restoration was the Figueres local Alexandre Comalat. The aim? Re-create the castle to look as much as possible like the original building, in terms of its exterior. Inside are rooms decorated in the 19th-century modernista style, and there are also gardens and lakes, with a complicated but lovely water distribution system. It's been restored and you can stay there as well as have lunch or dinner in the restaurant - it's well worth it.
|Venue name:||Castell de Requesens|