The Castle of Sant Miquel is situated at the top of the hill of Sant Miquel, which lies between Celrà and Girona on one of the most popular cycling and walking routes in the Girona area. The oldest remains date from the medieval period and are made up of building that's thought to have been a watchtower, part of a wall and an hermitage with a polygonal, fortified apse. There's no written record referring to the tower, whereas the hermitage was dedicated to Sant Miquel and built in a Gothic style in the mid-15th century. During the Second Carlist War (1846-1849), on the site of the remains of the apse of the hermitage, a tower of the military optical telegraph line between Madrid and the French border was built. The castle's location is strategic - it has an excellent vantage point over the valleys of Sant Daniel and Celrà.