The Benedictine monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants is one of the symbols of Girona
The Benedictine monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants is one of the most important Catalan Romanesque landmarks. It was built close to the northern wall of Girona, on the left bank of the Galligants river. Even though the foundation date of the monastery isn't known, there is documentation about it that dates from the end of the 10th century. It's also known that in 1131, Ramón Berenguer the Great (who was count of Barcelona) made an important donation to the cost of the construction work. It has a basilica with three naves, the middle of which is covered with barrel vault and the other two with quadrant vaults. The layout of the apse on the north side and the archaic portal - which are both quite unusual - has given rise to the belief that they come from a different building that was previously on the site.
|Venue name:||Monestir de Sant Pere Galligants|
Santa Llúcia, 8