The square, which was inaugurated in 1938, was actually more of a circular plaza with a large roundabout around it that connected the upscale Dizengoff Street with other important routes in the city center. In 1978, the plaza underwent its first major facelift during which it was raised above street level in an effort to ease congestion and provide pedestrians the chance to cross without encountering the vehicles below.
The next major milestone came in 1986, when sculptor Yaacov Agam's landmark fountain was unveiled. The 'Fire and Water' fountain has split public opinion ever since, but it’s fair to say that the colourful fountain has become an icon of the Tel Aviv cityscape.
The fountain, along with the entire square, fell into disrepair over the years and became a bit of a laughing stock among locals. In 2012, efforts were made to update the fountain and paint some benches, but these changes were only surface-level and didn’t do much to improve the square’s image.
Fast-forward to 2017 where major renovations to restore the square to its former glory and take it back down to street level are in full swing. The fountain has already been painstakingly dismantled, ready to be reassembled in the new and improved square, which is expected to be ready by the end of the year. The new street-level design will include a brand new bike lane and more green space than before.