What’s the best thing about doom metal? Is it the massive pummelling riffs? The spaced-out stoner lyrics? No – it’s the fact that pretty much every band on the scene has a totally bonkers name.
Ahead of this weekend’s doom metal and stoner rock festival Desertfest (April 24 – 26), we’ve picked five awesome bands from the line-up and mixed them up with five equally awesome-sounding bands that don’t actually exist. Can you tell the difference? Let’s go.
1) THE ATOMIC BITCHWAX: real or fake?
2) How about BONGSMASHER?
3) Yes, it’s a famous WWII movie. But is there also a doom metal band called DAS BOOT?
4) Do DOPETHRONE exist or did we make them up?
5) Did a band really name themselves after popular serif typeface GARAMOND?
6) Are you convinced by ICKE AND THE LIZARD APOCALYPSE?
7) It's a v. strange name. Does LVNAR CULT pass the smell test?
8) Is NOOTHGRUSH an actual band?
9) SLY & THE FAMILY DRONE: a pun too good to be true?
10) And finally, TEN FOOT WIZARD: real or fake?
Support Time Out
We see you’re using an ad-blocker. Ad revenue is Time Out’s main source of income. The content you’re reading is made by independent, expert local journalists.
Support Time Out directly today and help us champion the people and places which make the city tick. Cheers!Donate now