One of the city's oldest churches, like many this was not so much renovated but transformed in later centuries. The chancel has elaborate gilded wood carving from several periods, including Rococo and more typically Portuguese styles. But the main attraction (kept in the tiny 'museum' – a formerchapel) is a splendid Flemish triptych. Probably painted between 1512 and 1517, it was left to the nearby Hospital do Espírito Santo by a sea pilot who died in India. The central panel depicts the descent of the Holy Spirit; on the right is Saint John the Baptist and the donor; on the left Saint Paul.
|Venue name:||Igreja de São Pedro de Miragaia||Contact:|
Largo de São Pedro de Miragaia
|Opening hours:||Tue-Sat 3.30-7pm, Sun 10-11.30pm|