It’s that time again—the new year is in front of us, a big blank page in the next chapter of our lives. Losing weight, earning more money and planting a garden (how quaint!) all seem possible on New Year’s Eve, yet those admirable goals tend to dissolve by mid January. But this year is different—we’re here to help. We’ve matched your resolutions with local plans to make them happen:
1. Get fit A serious fitness plan can cost serious money, but San Francisco is home to a free outdoor gym suitable for slim-seekers of all levels (even us). Hit the trails at Lands End, far on the west side of the city and overlooking the great Golden Gate. There are slopes and stairs to challenge you, the views will distract you from your aching hamstrings, and much like the gym, getting there is the hardest part (though there is parking).
2. Broaden your horizons You’ve passed them a million times. Make 2015 the year that you actually go inside the best museums in San Francisco. (Be sure not to miss the amazing Andy Warhol exhibit at the DeYoung. Trust.)
3. Eat like you mean it If you make your reservations right now, you can get into State Bird Provisions by spring. Our insider tip includes sending those birds a sweet email asking for some “reservation advice.”
4. Catch a San Francisco classic It’s a hit with the tourists, but any lifelong San Franciscan will tell you that they love Beach Blanket Babylon. The constantly changing cabaret features big jokes, big songs and even bigger hats.
5. Get those finances under control This could be the year you resolve to ask for a raise or land a better-paying job, but in the meantime, pay off that maxed-out credit card by cutting your expenses. That can be a challenge in one of America’s most expensive cities. Fear not, thrifty reader! We’ve put together a rather impressive (if we do say so ourselves) list of free things to do in San Francisco.
6. Fall in love The City by the Bay is one of the most romantic urban centers in the world. If you’re not in love here, you should be. So put on your best ironic T-shirt and head to one of these top bars to meet the love of your life—or at least your first lust of 2015.
7. Sing in public You do it all the time in the shower. Your neighbor told us. Make your way to Martuni’s, where an open mic, complete with piano accompanist, is calling your name (don’t worry, you can down a couple of the signature giant martinis before you grab the spotlight).
8. Redecorate your pad It’s time to live like a grown-up, and San Francisco has some fantastically chic furniture stores. You’ve saved some cash by hitting up our list of free things to do, so spend your savings on a new couch and some new art.
9. Learn to cook Not only can you get some of the city’s best pizza at flour + water, you can learn to make delicious dishes yourself. Many of the Italian-inspired cooking sessions are taught by star chefs who will guide you through the mysteries of pasta-making.
10. Improve your mind Not only does our highly literary city have an impressive collection of bookstores, there are also plenty of kick-ass events throughout the year that combine words with booze. Snag a ticket to Writers with Drinks or stock up on tomes to make that next chapter of your life a truly satisfying one.