When it was originally built, the Mitsubishi Ichigokan was the first western-style office building in the Marunouchi area. Completed in 1894, the building was designed by British architect Josiah Conder on an invitation from the Japanese government, still newly formed after Japan’s opening to the West. At the time it bustled with activity, containing, among other things, the banking division of the Mitsubishi Company. By 1968, however, it had become dilapidated and was demolished. In 2010, after more than 40 years of silence, the Mitsubishi Ichigokan was reborn on the same site as a major new museum, rebuilt according to Conder’s original plans.
|Venue name:||Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum, Tokyo||Contact:|
2-6-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku
|Opening hours:||10am-6pm (Fri and 2nd Wed 10am-9pm; until 6pm if Fri is a national holiday), admission ends 30 mins before closing time. Final week of exhibitions Mon-Fri 10am-9pm / closed Mon (except for holidays or final week of exhibitions).|
|Transport:||Tokyo Station (JR, Marunouchi lines), Marunouchi South exit|
|Price:||Admission varies by exhibition. Discount campaigns: ￥200 off for repeaters; every 2nd Wed of the month the admission fee for women changes to ￥1,000 after 5pm and the museum opens until 9pm.|