Established in 1212, Komyoji earned its present name some 300 years later, when plague-stricken pilgrims were healed by a bright light (komyo) emitted from the temple's Amida-Buddha statue. It would move to its current location in 1604 in order to make way for an extension of Edo Castle, and has since fallen afoul of the inevitable fires, earthquakes and wartime bombing. That aside, Komyoji has done an impressive job of keeping in step with the times: there are now Komyoji branches in Chiba and Saitama, while the main temple is famous for hosting the Tasogare concert series (pictured).
|Venue name:||Komyoji Temple||Contact:|
3-25-1 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo
|Transport:||Kamiyacho Station (Hibiya line), exit 1|