Abandoned by its corporate operator, the city’s oldest surviving moviehouse was rescued and restored by a neighborhood group. Both inside and out, the 1923 structure has more charm than any number of the cookie-cutter megaplexes that have sprouted like mushrooms in the suburbs. It now shows a mix of foreign, independent, documentary and Hollywood fare, as well as classic and children’s films. The small second screen upstairs is nothing special.
5612 Connecticut Avenue, NW
|Cross street:||at McKinley Street|
|Transport:||Friendship Heights Metro or E2, E3, E4, E6, L1, L2, L4 bus|