Food & Drink
Calling all Friends fanatics: A real-life Central Perk is coming to NYC
Photograph: Courtesy Wikimedia Commons/Stuart Sevastos
Awful service aside—seriously Rachel, get it together—Central Perk, the coffeeshop hang of the beloved Friends crew, has become a TV icon since the show's debut twenty years ago. And now you can plant yourself on that big orange couch for a "Smelly Cat" sing-along in real life, with Warner Bros. and Eight O’Clock Coffee partnering to create an anniversary Central Perk pop-up at 199 Lafayette Street from Wednesday, September 17th through Saturday, October 18th.
Open weekdays from 8am to 8pm, and weekends from 10am to 8pm, the pop-up café will be kitted out with signature Friends props (yup, that's the real sofa from the show) and will host Phoebe-worthy live musical performances, trivia contests, daily giveaways and a special guest appearance by James Michael Tyler, who played everyone's favorite platinum-haired barista, Gunther. Along with the free java at the café, Eight O'Clock Coffee will also be selling a special Central Perk-themed blend at its stores throughout the country. Could we be any more excited?
- Threes Brewing hosts Delaney Barbecue, The Meat Hook and Roberta’s
- Dash hideously at the Ugly Sweater Run 5K this Saturday
- Make a duck face with One World Trade at Albany Plaza's "selfie kiosk"
- The MTA takes straphangers on a trip back to the subway of 1966
- Calling all fried-chicken fans: Pies 'n' Thighs is coming to Manhattan