Food & Drink
Calling all Friends fanatics: A real-life Central Perk is coming to NYC
Photograph: Courtesy Wikimedia Commons/Stuart Sevastos
Awful service aside—seriously Rachel, get it together—Central Perk, the coffeeshop hang of the beloved Friends crew, has become a TV icon since the show's debut twenty years ago. And now you can plant yourself on that big orange couch for a "Smelly Cat" sing-along in real life, with Warner Bros. and Eight O’Clock Coffee partnering to create an anniversary Central Perk pop-up at 199 Lafayette Street from Wednesday, September 17th through Saturday, October 18th.
Open weekdays from 8am to 8pm, and weekends from 10am to 8pm, the pop-up café will be kitted out with signature Friends props (yup, that's the real sofa from the show) and will host Phoebe-worthy live musical performances, trivia contests, daily giveaways and a special guest appearance by James Michael Tyler, who played everyone's favorite platinum-haired barista, Gunther. Along with the free java at the café, Eight O'Clock Coffee will also be selling a special Central Perk-themed blend at its stores throughout the country. Could we be any more excited?
- Check out this free two-day concert in Brooklyn featuring Hunters, Splashh and more
- The New York Dance and Performance Awards are held
- Death of Klinghoffer debrief: What went down at the Metropolitan Opera opening
- Williamsburg music venue Glasslands to close after New Year's Eve
- Depeche Mode: 101 screens tonight—you know it better than you think