Memorial Day 2013 in New York City
Get the most out of Memorial Day 2013 with our handy guide to holiday events. We list the best spots to BBQ, sunbathe and commemorate war heroes; as well as easy weekend getaways.
Thu Apr 18 2013
What is Memorial Day? Well, it isn’t just about day-drinking and savoring extra time away from your desk—it honors the men and women who have died while serving in our armed forces. Pause during your BBQ to remember the sacrifices made for the red, white and blue, and check out one of the Memorial Day parades happening in each of the five boroughs. Memorial Day weekend also marks the unofficial start to summer in New York. Here are the best events, beaches, parks, memorials, concerts, vacation spots and other things to do throughout the three-day weekend.
Memorial Day 2013 events
- Critics choice
Things to do on Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day in pictures
Today's photo comes from the Brooklyn Historical Society archives.
Expect to see plenty of men and women in uniform around the city for the next few days.
We love the Cyclone as much as anyone, but it's nice to see a full-on amusement park back in Coney Island.
Monday afternoon brought boys and girls, packed hip to hip, to the Rockaways, where a small spit of sand in Jacob Riis Park serves as the citywide gay beach.
Memorial sites in New York
Related Memorial Day coverage
You might also likeSee more in Things to Do
Events calendar for New York City
- May 2013 events calendar for New York City
- 100 best New York restaurants
- June 2013 events calendar for New York City
- Your perfect weekend
- Summer concerts in NYC: full concert schedule for New York shows
- Events calendar for 2013: The essential events in NYC this year
- July 2013 events calendar for New York City
- New York attractions: The 50 best sights and attractions in NYC
- The 50 greatest war films of all time
- Best things to do this week