Memorial Day in New York City
Get the most out of Memorial Day with our handy guide to holiday events. We list the best spots to BBQ, sunbathe and commemorate war heroes; as well as easy weekend getaways.
Fri May 23 2014
- Your last-minute plans
- The best parks for Memorial Day
- Events for food-lovers
- NYC's best rooftop bars
- The 50 greatest war films
What is Memorial Day? Well, it isn’t just about day-drinking and savoring extra time away from your desk—it honors the men and women who have died while serving in our armed forces. Pause during your BBQ to remember the sacrifices made for the red, white and blue, and check out one of the Memorial Day parades happening in each of the five boroughs. Memorial Day weekend also marks the unofficial start to summer in New York. Here are the best events, beaches, parks, memorials, concerts, vacation spots and other things to do throughout the three-day weekend.
When is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is on 26 May 2014.
Things to do on Memorial Day
Memorial Day in pictures
Memorial sites in New York
You might also like
Events calendar for New York City
- 31 ways to piss off a New Yorker
- Brace yourself: A and C tunnel between Brooklyn and Manhattan will be closed for 40 weekends next year
- What not to do at Hugh Jackman’s new Broadway show
- 33 reasons New York kicks Chicago’s ass
- 14 super-cool things to do this weekend
- 20 awesome things happening in New York this week
- Take a look inside the Dead Rabbit crew's Pier A Harbor House, opening tonight
- Shake Shack and Big Gay Ice Cream create a limited-edition layered holiday shake
- Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Balloon Inflation
- Side Show