Memorial Day in New York City
Get the most out of Memorial Day with our handy guide to holiday events. We list the best spots to BBQ, sunbathe and commemorate war heroes; as well as easy weekend getaways.
Fri May 23 2014
- Your last-minute plans
- The best parks for Memorial Day
- Events for food-lovers
- NYC's best rooftop bars
- The 50 greatest war films
What is Memorial Day? Well, it isn’t just about day-drinking and savoring extra time away from your desk—it honors the men and women who have died while serving in our armed forces. Pause during your BBQ to remember the sacrifices made for the red, white and blue, and check out one of the Memorial Day parades happening in each of the five boroughs. Memorial Day weekend also marks the unofficial start to summer in New York. Here are the best events, beaches, parks, memorials, concerts, vacation spots and other things to do throughout the three-day weekend.
When is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is on 26 May 2014.
Things to do on Memorial Day
Memorial Day in pictures
Memorial sites in New York
You might also like
Events calendar for New York City
- The 33 toughest things about being single in New York
- Feast of San Gennaro
- 24 awesome things happening in New York this week
- 18 super-cool things to do this weekend
- Six Off Broadway musicals to see this fall
- Calling all Friends fanatics: A real-life Central Perk is coming to NYC
- Brooklyn Flea
- Meet the Undateables: John and Amanda
- 10 non-douchey rooftop bars
- See the photos from the 2014 Smallest Penis in Brooklyn contest (NSFW)