Time Out Market Cape Town today opened its doors to the public at the V&A Waterfront.
The food and cultural market brings the best of the city together under one roof with a curated mix of the best local chefs, drinks and cultural experiences.
Time Out Market Cape Town – the first to open on the African continent – merges food, drinks, local culture, music and creativity into one vibrant space where guests come together around communal tables to enjoy the experience, surrounded by top chefs and their teams in action. The 30,000 sq ft foodie destination has 13 kitchens, three bars plus a dedicated wine bar, as well as a stage for cultural experiences – with everything capturing the essence of the city.
“Our team spent over a year developing and curating Time Out Market Cape Town, identifying the very best of local from all types of cuisines that make our city the top culinary destination it is,” said Russ Meyer, General Manager of Time Out Market Cape Town. "We offer our guests a true taste of the city and are open every day, all day so you can come for breakfast, lunch, dinner, to enjoy our cultural events or just a drink; you can come on your own, with family, with friends – it's a vibrant, fun space and there is something for everyone.”
Time Out Market CEO, Sandy Hayek added: “Time Out Market Cape Town brings a new culinary and cultural experience to Cape Town and the V&A Waterfront. We created this space to celebrate the city’s and region’s fantastic talents who proudly present Cape Town as a leading culinary and cultural hub.
“To curate Time Out Market Cape Town’s lineup, we have tested and tasted a lot of food in the city to uncover the best home-grown talents – and then we invited the very best to join and we couldn't be more proud that such outstanding chefs and restaurateurs have accepted our invitation. They really are the best of the city and together will represent the city’s diverse food scene, making Time Out Market Cape Town a place where you can get a true taste of the city.”
The full Time Out Market Cape Town culinary lineup includes:
- Barakat: Chefs Anwar Abdullatief and Yolani Abrahams give a fresh take on traditional Cape Malay cuisine.
- CARNE: Chef Giorgio Nava lets the meat do the talking in the true Italian minimalist tradition.
- De Vrije Burger: Restaurateur and Chef Bertus Basson offers his iconic De Vrije Burger.
- How Bao Now: Chef duo Matt Van Den Berg and Carla Schulze bring How Bao Now and their Asian-inspired high-end street food.
- Kapoochka: Chef Hitesh Panchal serves Indian street food with a contemporary twist.
- MLILO: Chef Vusi Ndlovu created a new concept for the Market with dishes that celebrate African shisanyama heritage.
- NØSH CAFÉ: The team behind Origin Coffee pour three of South Africa’s best-loved coffee brands as part of a one-stop-caffeine-shop.
- Ramenhead: The team behind The World’s 50 Best nominated restaurant, FYN, brings Ramenhead to the Market.
- Sushiya: Chef Peter Tempelhoff, together with Shin Takagi of two-star Michelin restaurant Zeniya in Kanazawa, Japan, offers authentic contemporary Japanese sushi.
- The Melting Pot: Elgin’s best-kept secret seafood experience brought to Cape Town by chef John van Zyl.
- The Siba Deli: A modern South African deli by Chef Siba Mtongana.
- Unframed Ice Cream: Founded by Yann Rey, Unframed Ice Cream excites foodies with their twist on classic ice cream flavours.
- YARD: Eugene Smith serves authentically inspired pizza from Pizza Warehouse.
- And… Culture Wine Bar: Restaurateur and Chef, Matt Manning, offers a curated selection of South Africa’s fine wine through Culture Wine Bar.
It’s not just about food, there is also an exciting bar programme and culture
Not only will Time Out Market Cape Town showcase the city’s top chefs and much-loved restaurateurs – it will also boast local wines, beers, cocktails, mocktails and soft drinks at three bars as well as art and cultural experiences from Capetonian and South African local talent. The Market is fully licensed and the 13 food concepts and the wine bar are complemented by three bars offering premium alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages – keeping with its mission to bring the best of the city together under one roof, the curated beverage programme includes:
- Dry Dock Bar: Located on the ground floor at the heart of the Market with a wide offering of premium beverages that include cocktails, wine and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Pumphouse Bar: This is where craft beer dreams meet classic favourites. With twelve taps on offer – nine of which are dedicated to local artisanal craft ales – this is a grand assembly of brews.
- Studio Bar: This quintessential cocktail bar is located on the mezzanine level, known as Time Out Studio which doubles as the Market’s cultural event space.
Cape Town’s cultural scene is as vibrant as its food scene, and Time Out Market Cape Town will offer a curated programme of cultural activations and events year round including jazz evenings, comedy evenings and DJs with more to come. Spread across the Market, guests will be able to enjoy art and installations from the Cape Town based Zabalaza Art Faktory and ALFA, showcasing the true heart and exciting nature of local creativity, with more art installations in the works.
Time Out Market Cape Town is committed to working with local people, partners, suppliers and communities
Through a larger partnership between the V&A Waterfront and Harambee that aims to unlock employment opportunities within the V&A Waterfront neighbourhood, 20 of the entry-level positions at the Market were sourced through Harambee's SA Youth platform. Once sourced through the platform, Time Out Market Cape Town saw an opportunity for the same 20 young people to go through an intensive work readiness program enabled by Solve@Waterfront, Harambee and Passion4Performance. The aim of the programme is to equip young people with the essential soft skills needed for success in the hospitality industry.
Time Out Market Cape Town is a new addition to a family of food and cultural markets
There are several Time Out Markets around the world – all dedicated to the best of the city they are in, but each is unique to its city and distinctly local, with a local team. Time Out Market is rooted in Time Out which started in 1968 at a kitchen table in London as a magazine about the best things to do in the city. It is now a trusted brand that has, for over 50 years, been curating the best of cities around the world.
Having officially opened on Friday 17 November 2023, Time Out Market Cape Town is open daily – opening times are:
- Sunday to Wednesday: all vendors open 11am-10pm; coffee & breakfast from 8am
- Thursday to Saturday: all vendors open 11am-11pm; coffee & breakfast from 8am
Address: Time Out Market Cape Town, Old Power Station Building, Building 19, Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa
Parking: V&A Waterfront – the closest parking area is Portswood
Time Out Market press office:
Notes to Editors
Website: To stay up to date on Time Out Market Cape Town’s vendors, bars, hours of operation and events, please visit: www.timeoutmarket.com
About Time Out Market Cape Town
Time Out Market Cape Town is a food and cultural market located on the V&A Waterfront. Across almost 30,000 sq ft, there are 13 chefs and restaurateurs, three bars plus a dedicated wine bar and one stage. It offers a curated mix of some of the city’s best food, drinks and cultural experiences as well as spectacular views of Table Mountain.
Time Out Market is a food and cultural market, bringing the best of the city together under one roof: a curated mix of the best chefs, restaurateurs, drinks and cultural experiences. From award-winning chefs to much-loved local gems, from installations from local artists to live entertainment, Time Out Market captures and celebrates the best of the city.
The first Time Out Market opened in 2014 in a historic market hall in Lisbon, quickly turning into one of the most popular destinations in the city. The success of Lisbon brought further expansion and currently there are seven Markets (Lisbon, New York, Boston, Chicago, Montreal, Dubai, Cape Town) and several new sites are in development with expected opening dates in 2024 and beyond, in addition to a pipeline of further locations in advanced discussions.
Time Out Market is part of Time Out Group PLC (AIM: TMO), a global media and hospitality brand that inspires and enables people to experience the best of the city through its two divisions – Time Out Media and Time Out Market. Time Out launched in London in 1968 to help people discover the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the city – today it is the only global brand dedicated to city life. Expert journalists curate and create content about the best things to do, see and eat across 333 cities in 59 countries, and across a unique multi-platform model spanning both digital and physical channels.