Bostonians are a specific kind of breed, but not everyone who lives here is truly a native. The city is filled with students and transplants who all contribute to the city's charm, but there are definitely some characteristics shared by most local natives. Here are 20 things you know, think and do if you're a Bostonian.
1. You cross the street whenever and wherever you feel like it.
2. The only time you say "Hahvahd Yahd" is when trying to impersonate a Kennedy.
3. The tour guides who dress up in colonial garb annoy you.
4. You've debates with friends and family over whether Regina’s or Santarpio's makes the best pizza.
5. You can drive a rotary without panicking.
6. You know the difference between a frappe and a milkshake.
7. You know that a sub is a sandwich and tonic is soda.
8. You believe Larry Bird is the greatest basketball player of all time, Bobby Orr is the greatest hockey player of all time, and Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time.
9. You've said “wicked good” or “pissah” to describe something you really like, though you'd never admit to it.
10. Every year you hope for a mild winter, but know deep down we’ll get slammed with snow, freezing temps, or worse.
11. You know that the roast beef sandwich and fried clams were both invented in Massachusetts.
12. Summer is your favorite season because all of the students leave town.
13. No matter what, you root against whatever team is playing the Yankees.
14. You take pride in coming from one of the most educated cities in America.
15. The differences between BC and BU are not lost on you.
16. You know better than to test your luck with the meter maids or parking signs.
17. You there's always going to be a tourist asking for your photo help in the Public Garden.
18. The seals outside the aquarium appreciate it when you help make sure visitors don't tap on the glass or take flash photos.
19. You never, ever drive down traffic-choked Hanover Street in the North End on a busy night.
20. You know what the weather beacon atop the Old Hancock Tower signifies. (Just remember: Steady blue, clear view; Flashing blue, clouds due; Steady red, storms ahead; Flashing red, snow instead.)