The Charles Playhouse is housed in a Greek revival building that actually dates to 1839, when it opened as a church and then became a synagogue. Things switched up a bit from there as it was turned into a speakeasy and then a top jazz venue where the likes of Count Basie and Duke Ellington held court. In the 1950s it became a theater proper, holding many notable productions. It has long been known as the home of the Blue Man Group, which, some three decades after its launch, shows no sign of stopping its performances in the main 500-seat theater. The 200-seat second stage is where the long-running Shear Madness shows have been playing for around the same lengthy tenure.
|Venue name:||Charles Playhouse|
74 Warrenton St
|Cross street:||Stuart St|
|Transport:||Boylston or NE Medical Center T .|