The BPL is actually two libraries. The original structure, designed by Charles McKim and completed in 1895, is now the research library, while an extension opened in 1972 to function as a general library. Frequented by local students and casual book-browsers, the complex is well worth visiting. Most days you can join an informal art and architecture tour conducted by volunteers (call for times), but the labyrinthine structure is a joy to get lost in as well. At the center of the building is the cloistered courtyard, with its central fountain—a tranquil place to linger. Bates Hall (the expansive second-floor reading room named after an early benefactor) runs the entire length of the library, and features a majestic barrel-arched ceiling. Another highlight is John Singer Sargent's recently restored epic mural, the Triumph of Religion, which dominates the third floor gallery; there are also murals by 19th-century French painter Puvis de Chavannes, among others. The modern wing of the library—which echoes its parent's materials, lines and proportions in a modernist vocabulary—is in the midst of a three-year, $75 million renovation that will enhance many interior spaces as well as the exterior aesthetic.
|Venue name:||Boston Public Library||Contact:|
700 Boylston St
|Cross street:||at Copley Square|
|Opening hours:||June-Sept Mon-Thu 9am-9pm; Fri, Sat 9am-5pm. Oct-May Mon-Thu 9am-9pm; Fri, Sat 9am-5pm; Sun 1-5pm|
|Transport:||Green line to Copley|