Second only to Faneuil Hall as a center of dissent during Boston's Revolutionary era, the Old South Meeting House (1729) combines the simple design of a Puritan meeting house with elements taken from Christopher Wren's then-fashionable Anglican church style, such as arched windows and a tall spire. Famously, it was the departure point of the Boston Tea Party: after a raucous debate on British taxation on 16 December 1773, the infuriated colonists, disguised as Mohawk Indians, marched to Boston Harbor under cover of darkness and hurled 342 crates of imported tea into the Atlantic by way of protest.
|Venue name:||Old South Meeting House||Contact:|
310 Washington Street
at Milk Street
|Opening hours:||Open Apr-Oct 9.30am-5pm daily. Nov-Mar 10am-4pm daily.|
|Transport:||Downtown Crossing or State T .|
|Price:||Admission $5; $1-$4 reductions.|