Built in 1809, the Park Street Church was known as "Brimstone Corner" during the war of 1812—not for its fiery sermons about hellfire and damnation, but because gunpowder was stored in a basement crypt, emitting a constant (and sometimes overwhelming) smell of sulphur. It was here that William Lloyd Garrison gave his first anti-slavery oration and, in 1818, the nation's first Sunday School class took place. Sunday services are still held here.
|Venue name:||Park Street Church||Contact:|
1 Park Street
at Tremont Street
|Opening hours:||Tours July–Aug 9.30am–3.30pm Tue–Sat. Services 8.30am, 11am, 4pm, 6pm Sun|
|Transport:||Park St T|