This Georgian mansion, the only remaining house in America that was built by a royal colonial governor, is a National Historic Landmark. It went up between 1747 and 1751, and was built by William Shirley, who was appointed to his post by King George II. After that, the building played host to a who's who of historical figures: used as barracks for Revolutionary forces during the war, and later home to federal governor William Eustis, its illustrious visitors have included George Washington and Benjamin Franklin. Today, guided tours show off the restored marble floors and lovely period furniture of this perfectly preserved slice of pre-Revolutionary Roxbury.
|Venue name:||Shirley-Eustis House||Contact:|
33 Shirley Street
between Dudley & George Streets
|Opening hours:||Open June-Sept noon-4pm Thur, Fri, 2nd wknd of each mth. Oct-May by appointment only.|
|Transport:||Ruggles T then bus 15.|
|Price:||Admission $5; $3 reductions.|
To improve this listing email: firstname.lastname@example.org