The original church, allegedly funded by Richard the Lionheart in recognition of the local hospitality when shipwrecked on Lokrum in the 1190s, was lost to the 1667 earthquake. In its place was built a somewhat bland, baroque affair, free but unenticing to walk around. The main draw is the treasury at one end, a somewhat grotesque collection of holy relics. The arm, skull and lower leg of patron St Blaise are kept in jewel-encrusted casings, another box contains one of Christ's nappies, and wood from the Holy Cross is incorporated into a finely crafted crucifix from the 16th century. Perhaps the most bizarre artefact is the creepy dish and jug designed as a gift for the Hungarian King Mátyás Corvinus, who died before he could receive it.
|Venue name:||Dubrovnik Cathedral||Contact:|
Poljana Marina Držića
|Opening hours:||Winter 9am-noon, 3-5pm Mon-Sat; 11am-noon Sun. Summer 9am-5pm Mon-Sat, 11am-5pm Sun.|
|Transport:||All buses to Old Town|