Spain's parliament, the Cortes, was built in 1843-50 by Narciso Pascual y Colomer on the site of a recently demolished monastery, which led to problems of space for the modern needs of the chamber, which was enlarged in the 1980s with the addition of an annex building. A classical portico gives it a suitably dignified air, but the building is best distinguished by the handsome 1860 bronze lions that guard its entrance. Tourists are welcome on the popular free Saturday guided tours. There are guided visits for individuals on Saturdays and for groups every day of the week.
|Venue name:||Congreso de los Diputados (Las Cortes)|
Floridablanca s/n, Plaza de las Cortes s/n, Carrera de San Jerónimo, 39.
|Opening hours:||Guided visits for groups Mon-Fri (except Aug) during Parliament working hours, 9am-2.30pm, 4pm-6.30pm; individual guided visits Sat 10.30am-12.30pm (no booking)|
|Transport:||Banco de España, Sevilla (M: L2)|