Palacio Bauer. Escuela Superior de Canto
Time Out says
Friendly warning! We're working hard to be accurate. But these are unusual times, so please check that venues remain open.
Built in the 18th century by the Marquess and Marchioness of Guadalcázar on land that belonged to a Jesuit order (Noviciado de la Compañía de Jesús), the Bauer Palace is one of those treasures in Madrid that's quite the sight to behold, but that is often overlooked. And that's surprising, considering it's right in the San Bernardo neighbourhood, next to C/Pez, where pedestrians pass by every day. Perhaps we're passing by too quickly. Now it's time to stop and take in this historic monument, which has been owned since the late 20th century by the Bauers, a family of Jewish bankers, and is now a wonderful school for singing and vocal training (Escuela Superior de Canto). Perhaps the place inherited its musical soul, seeing as the Bauers were famous for their parties and grand ballroom, and their palace was considered one of the most elegant of the time. Musicians were welcome in smaller gatherings, in the legendary music salon. The splendour was truncated of course by the Spanish Civil War, and the palace was acquired by the State in 1940. After a stint as the headquarters of, among others, the RESAD Royal Academy of the Dramatic Arts, in 1972 it was declared a National Historical Monument. Since then the palace has filled again with music in its new incarnation.
During the week of April 13 to 19, the music school organises Open Days, with tours of its library and facilities.