To help power you through self-isolation in these trying times, we’re asking top chefs from around the world to share their favourite quick, cheap, simple dishes, using basic ingredients you probably have lying around at the back of your cupboard. Welcome to the second of our Store-Cupboard Suppers.
Have you taken up baking during the global lockdown? Going on the number of cakes on our Instagram feeds right now, we’re guessing yes. And if so, you’re probably all ears when it comes to uncomplicated bakes you can make from home. So we asked Al.ta Cucina, an Italian website and YouTube channel with a huge following, to send over one of their favourites: a chocolate, orange and ricotta cake that uses just five ingredients. Here are the deets.
Al.ta Cucina’s torta alla ricotta
Photograph: Al.ta Cucina
Time: Around an hour
– 750g ricotta
– Four eggs
– 175g icing sugar
– 85g chocolate chips
– Grated peel of one orange
To make the cake:
– Drain the ricotta, then combine with the eggs and icing sugar in a bowl.
– Mix with an electric whisk until clear and frothy.
– Add the grated orange peel and chocolate chips (we recommend putting these in the freezer for 20 minutes beforehand), and mix well.
– Transfer everything to a hinged baking dish (22cm in diameter) lined with baking paper.
– Bake at 180C for 50 minutes.
Tried this recipe? Take a picture and tag @timeouteverywhere – and watch this space for more Store-Cupboard Suppers soon.
More things to do at home?