They make it looks easy, but skaters and hip-hop dancers practise a most exact art. As part of the Villette Street Festival, you can find out for yourself: a programme of workshops is offering you the chance to learn the basics of the street arts without paying a centime. Throughout the weekend, pros will be on hand to teach you how to breakdance and beatbox, how to tell your waackers from your poppers, and a whole lot more. And it's all free. So head down and give them a try – after all, you can't be sure you're not a natural freerunner till you've tried.
Workshops are either divided into one-hour slots or operate on a basis of rolling admission. For more information (in French), click here.
THE PROGRAMME (Saturday May 31 – Sunday June 1)
• Hip-hop dance workshops – Sat and Sun
Popping (Mélanie Sulmona) – Sat 4pm
House dancing (Meech) – Sat 5.30pm
Breakdancing (Cie Vagabonds Crew) – Sun 3pm
Waacking (Princess Madoki) – Sun 4.30pm
• Beatboxing workshops (Cie Organic Orchestra) – Sat and Sun, 2.30pm and 5.30pm – 1 hour – 18 participants per session
• Beatboxing and new technology workshops – Sat and Sun, 4pm and 7pm – 1 hour – 18 participants per session
• Double Dutch workshops (Cie Ebene) – Sat and Sun – Rolling admission
• Parkour workshops (Yamakasi) – Sat and Sun – Rolling admission
• Freestyle football workshops (Séan Garnier – S3 Team) – Sat and Sun – Rolling admission
• Beginners' skateboarding workshops (Organ Skateboard) – Sat and Sun – Rolling admission
• Recycle your skateboard! (Organ Skateboard) – Sat and Sun – Rolling admission – 5 participants per session