In the middle ages, this square was a garden with fruit trees, vegetables and herbs. In 1656 Pierre Aubert de Fontenay, a farmer who'd made his fortune from a salt tax, built the fabulous Hôtel Salé next to it and let it to the Venetian Ambassador. Taken over by revolutionaries, the Hôtel became a depository for the libraries of neighbouring convents before being taken over by the Mairie de Paris. The garedn was given the name of 20th century surrealist painter Léonor Fini.
|Venue name:||Jardin de l'Hôtel Salé - Leonor Fini|
101 rue des Coutures Saint-Gervais
|Opening hours:||1 May-31 Aug: Mon-Fri 8am-8.30pm, Sat-Sun 9am-8.30pm. 1 Sept-30 Apr: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm, Sat-Sun 9am-5pm|
|Transport:||Métro : Saint-Sébastien - Froissart|