Kostel sv. Tomáše


Kostel sv. Tomáše review Rate it

It's worth craning your neck to get a good look at the curvy pink façade of St Thomas's. The lopsided structure is the legacy of an earlier Gothic church built for the Order of Augustinian hermits. After the structure was damaged by fire in 1723, Kilián Ignaz Dientzenhofer was employed to give it the Baroque touch. The newly rich burghers of Malá Strana provided enough cash for the frescoes to be completed at breakneck speed (they took just two years) and for Rubens to paint the altarpiece, The Martyrdom of St Thomas. They even bought the body of St Boniface. The original altarpiece is now part of the National Gallery's collection on show in the Šternberg Palace and has been replaced by a copy, but the skeletons of the saints dressed in period costume are still on display. Next door are 17th-century cloisters, where the monks dabbled in alchemy before realising that transforming hops into beer was easier and more lucrative than trying to make gold out of lead. A door on Letenská leads to their former brewery, now a tourist-filled restaurant.

Comment Tweet
Save to foursquare

Kostel sv. Tomáše details

Josefská 8,
Prague 1

Area Prague

Transport Metro Malostranská/tram 12, 22.

Telephone 257 530 556

Open 11am-1pm Mon-Sat; 9am-noon, 4.30-5.30pm Sun.

Admission free.