Where are Americans living their best lives?
Gallup scientists teamed up with National Geographic and author Dan Buettner for a study that seeks to assess levels of happiness within the country. Gathering data across 15 different metrics (including numbers related to financial security, dental checkups, healthy eating, learning something new, civic engagement and vacation time), the researchers established an index that "draws on nearly 250,000 interviews conducted with adults from 2014 to 2015 in 190 metropolitan areas across the U.S.," according to National Geographic.
The city boasting the highest level of happiness is (drum roll, please): Boulder, Colorado. Boulder's characteristic sustainable urban development and preservation policies, clean mountain air, access to nature and sense of community afforded it the top spot on the list.
Here are the top 25 happiest cities in the U.S.:
1. Boulder, Colorado
2. Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA
3. Charlottesville, VI
4. Fort Collins, CO
5. San Luis Obispo, CA
6. San Jose, CA
7. Provo, UT
8. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CO
9. Barnstable Town, MA
10. Anchorage, AK
11. Naples-Immokalee-Marco Island, FL
12. Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA
13. Salinas, CA
14. North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, FL
15. Honolulu, HI
16. Ann Arbor, MI
17. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
18. Colorado Springs, CO
19. Manchester-Nashua, NH
20. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA
21. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C./VA
22. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN/WI
23. San Diego-Carlsbad, CA
24. Portland, ME
25. Austin, TX
Yes, we are considering a move to Colorado. Join us?