50 best things to do this summer with NYC Kids
Mon Jun 27 2011
Photograph: Caroline Voagen Nelson
Lower East Side coin operated ride
31. Hop on a coin-operated ride Head to Brooklyn's Fifth Avenue or Broadway, where you'll find carousel horses, race cars and cartoon-themed rides (we're partial to Clifford and a blue giraffe).
32. Stop by a festival 'Tis the season for outdoor fetes. Experience cultural bashes, street fairs and other lively shindigs all around the city. Check out the on July 23, the Lincoln Center Out of Doors Family Day on July 31 or the in August.
33. Walk the High Line Stroll through the elevated green space or take advantage of the park's vast offerings, including art exhibitions, stargazing and nature classes. And don't forget to check out the newly opened section!
34. Take a ride on a city bike path Grab your helmets and take the kids for a ride along the paths in Central Park or Prospect Park. Older kids can check out the Greenway trails along the Hudson River and the Shore Parkway. For a change of scenery head to Governors Island, where you can rent (well, borrow) bikes free of charge.
35. Pass time in Brooklyn Bridge Park In addition to sparkling views of the Manhattan skyline, the park offers several souped-up playgrounds. Empire--Fulton Ferry Park and Jane's Carousel are set to open later this summer.