Construction began in 1802, but was interrupted in 1807 when the royal family high-tailed it to Brazil to escape Napoleon's armies. The palace was never finished and still looks sawn in half. Nevertheless, it served as a royal residence in the late 19th century. Some wings are open as a museum, while others house the Ministry of Culture.
|Venue name:||Palácio Nacional da Ajuda||Contact:|
Largo da Ajuda
|Opening hours:||10am-6pm Mon, Tue, Thur-Sun|
|Transport:||Tram 18. Bus 729, 732|
|Price:||€5; €2.50 reductions; free under-13s & all 1st Sun of mth|