When it comes to ranking the world’s top attractions, often the lists you see are pretty predictable. Things like the Empire State Building, the Taj Mahal and the Pyramids of Giza are all bound to pop up. And there’s a reason for that: those places are proper, established classics – and they’re celebrated for good reason.
This year’s rankings of the world’s top attractions according to TripAdvisor, however, contains a few surprises. The 2022 Travellers’ Choice ‘Best of the Best’ Awards bases its results on the quantity and quality of user reviews.
And top of the list for 2022 is… the Basílica de la Sagrada Família in Barcelona! Now, anyone who’s visited the Sagrada will be well aware of why it’s been included here. Towering, grandiose and downright weird, the Sagrada Família is Antoni Gaudí’s masterpiece and the most iconic sight in the Barcelona skyline. It’s been in construction since 1882, but even in its unfinished form it’s a dazzling place to visit.
Second in the ranking comes the Colosseum in Rome and third is New York’s Empire State Building, both of which are extremely popular, globally famous tourist attractions. Interestingly, the list does actually include some less renowned attractions, notably Bath’s Roman Baths and the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.
Want to know where else made the list? Here is the top ten in full:
1. Basilica de la Sagrada Família, Barcelona, Spain
2. Colosseum, Rome, Italy
3. Empire State Building, New York City, USA
4. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5. Gallerie Degli Uffizi, Florence, Italy
6. Plaza de España, Seville, Spain
7. Iguazu Falls, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil
8. The Roman Baths, Bath, United Kingdom
9. Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, USA
10. Trevi Fountain, Rome, Italy
If you’re interested in finding out more, you can read TripAdvisor’s full list of award winners here.