Heads up! We’re working hard to be accurate – but these are unusual times, so please always check before heading out.
Vesak is a celebration of the birth, enlightenment and passing away of Lord Buddha. The festival, which takes place on the full moon day in May, is one of Sri Lanka’s most visually stunning celebrations. Colombo is the epicentre of Vesak, and every year the streets are strung with hundreds of paper lanterns and lights. To really get involved you can make your own Vesak lantern, and it’s not difficult.
You will need:
- Either 1 packet of bendy straws OR 25 bamboo sticks cut to 25cm pieces
- Either 1 tea light candle and a piece of cardboard OR a lightbulb
- Tissue paper of various colours
- String or bendy wire for tying
- Wire or fire-safe string for hanging