The temple is located in Pita Kotte and is formally recognised by the Government of Sri Lanka as an archaeological site. The construction of the temple in the Kingdom of Kotte, when it was the capital, dates back to the reign of King Parakramabahu VI (1412-1467). The ruins of the temple were discovered in 1813 by Ven Pilane Buddha Rakkhitha Nayake Thero and it subsequently regained its stature as a place of worship. Annually, the Kotte Raja Maha Viharaya hosts the Sri Dalada Perahera in memory of and to pay homage to the Sacred Tooth Relic of which the Kingdom of Kotte was once the abode.
|Venue name:||Kotte Raja Maha Viharaya||Contact:|
Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte